urine ph 4.1

Hi all,

I'm posting here out of academic curiosity. I'm not asking for medical advice or diagnosis which I know you would not give. I have diabetic acidosis, previously confirmed. I recently tested my urine ph with a cheap meter from ebay. I did a crude calibration of the meter by testing my tap water which came out at 6.5 which is a bit low but reasonable. I have tested my urine previously and came up with values as high as 7.2 while not taking insulin but usually quite lower. I tested my urine last night and it was 4.1 re-tested and re-checked the meter.

Is this even possible? When I read about studies of diabetic acidosis they usually mention the lowest tested ph as 6.8 or so. Although that may have been blood ph and not urine ph.

Are the kidneys capable of producing ultra low ph urine to help keep blood ph stable? I'm sure it isn't healthy to let that go on long.

I started drinking water with a mix of baking soda and potassium bicarbonate and my urine ph is up to 6.5.

I know normal is something like 7.35-7.45

What is the lowest theoretical value for urine ph?

Is it possible there is something else going on here besides diabetic acidosis? Maybe elves sneaking into my room at night and giving me a hydrochloric acid drip? (joking)

Interested to hear your thoughts.

Thanks

!

Moderator Note

DO seek proper medical advice - random internet fora are not good places for information. Even with the best will and academic understanding you will not get a valid diagnosis or a safe prognosis; the post/reply format of this place is not conducive to medical enquiry.

If you must self medicate and self test - WHICH WE RECOMMEND YOU DO NOT - then be very cautious, make notes that the emergency services can use when you screw up, and ensure your lab techniques are up to scratch before you do anything.

Reminds me of one of my favourite medical jokes

Patient: "Doctor - I am having real trouble passing water - its quite painful when I go for a pee"

Doctor: "Does it burn at the tip?"

Patient: "I don't know I have never tried lighting it"