Are scientists somewhat nihilistic?

s1eep

So... Scientific nihilism is the rejection of the existence of unscientific things?

The rejection, then the expression, and then other abominations.

Do you literally reject, as in not allow, the existence of unscientific things in your mind - do they just pop up anyway?

Edited by s1eep

Most of us tend to feel that if something is truly real and if something meaningful is actual extant then it can be studied, described, and generally measured... Even if we haven't YET found a way to do that with today's technology or level of understanding.

The rest... those other things not included in the previous set... may ultimately be possible or may appeal to the pattern finding and artistic predilections within us, but until they are given clearer structure or more reasonable descriptors or ways to validate them scientists generally treat them as what they are... Something that can be largely ignored as irrelevant, pseudoscientific, or mere wish thinking.

The rejection, then the expression, and then other abominations.

Do you literally reject, as in not allow, the existence of unscientific things in your mind - do they just pop up anyway?

No, that would be silly. I think about all sorts of things that aren't real. Why wouldn't I?

Heck, if people were even physically capable of doing that, most of the system of scientific scrutiny that has been developed to thoroughly vett ideas for testability and scientific rigor would be entirely superfluous.

Why in the world would you think science would be the death of creativity? Scientists aren't automatons.

Edited by Delta1212

I am definitely not soapboxing, which I why I keep asking for responses so that we can discuss.

And nobody can respond until you clarify what you mean, which is why people keep asking you to define what you mean by nihilism. Because it doesn't jibe with the available definitions.

Here, I wrote this today reddit, it explains events I consider to be the abomination that comes with scientific nihilism, the evidence was right in front of me, but it cannot be captured, for it's composed of feelings and other peoples actions. It can be recorded, but the ending result can possibly lack feeling associated with the event. Feelings are a huge thing, by the way, people are sensitive to action, in so far as to be prompted by it, to debate it and/or accept it...

It's clear as day that depressive, and often maleficent behaviour, is the source of a majority of people's depression; but it's also a source of release for a majority of the depressed. Therefore, there is a perspective wherein this behaviour is supported, and another where it's opposed.

For the purposes of this thread I have split the concept of depression into two categories: short-term depression and long-term depression. A 'short-term depression' is a depressed feeling for a few minutes or hours, whereas 'long-term depression', is more severe, and lasts up to a lifetime. Not ALL depression is coming from depressive behaviour of others; inter alia, ugliness, anxiety and poverty, can spur depression.

Reddit itself acts as a mediator of depression. Reddit allows the depressed to find their release through the system of, never fair or just, down-votes and up-votes, and causes depression in others by the very same means. The people who use, and admins who run, Reddit, claim that they want to help depressed people, posting links to support and so on, but neither would put their own profits or reputation below the mental health of others - that comes first no matter what problems they cause in the process. Admins want to keep the voting system as it is because the various bandwagons, as the moderators and admins call them, led by the depressive, keep money in the owners pockets.

Reddit even restricts users from posting if they've accumulated enough down-votes; a fine example that shows that Reddit supports depressive behaviour. People with depressive attitudes are given a seat of power, they get to dictate your experience on Reddit; they may always think that they can get rid of a user, and down-vote on that basis. All intelligence and originality is lost in emotional pandemonium, of held in laughter and general bigotry, not to mention the lazy and opinion-based moderation.

The conspiracy here goes on into other websites and social circles, but occurring more prominently on the internet. An example: GTA V received many good reviews on steam. A lot of, good and intelligent, people, put in effort to write their reviews, only to have them ruined by emotional wrecks in a train of petty, behind-a-computer-screen, hatred. Many good reviews at 85-90% up-votes, were down-voted to 50%, primarily because these out-of-control steam users were annoyed with aspects of the game. I wrote a good review, and I never changed my mind. Here, good, intelligent people, had their vision clouded by unintelligent and evil people, causing them short-term depression.

Ruins are easily created, but the house that was once built wasn't so easy and simple. We shouldn't have to live in a world where hypothetical houses, are made into ruins, because a person was emotionally, touched. I know it doesn't bother the average reader, because you weren't the owner of the house.

I'm not here for the up-votes, or recognition. I have faith that no matter how little attention this receives, because what I'm saying is of the utmost intelligence, it will pass through silently anyway. I see myself as a type of father figure - someone has to make a sacrifice...

Thank you!

So, you won't be answering any of the actual questions put to you and will content yourself with preachy posts that have nothing to do with what anybody else is saying?

"Please clarify your definition."

"Since scientists are nihilistic, [insert long string of senseless unrelated peripheral crap here...]"

So, you won't be answering any of the actual questions put to you and will content yourself with preachy posts that have nothing to do with what anybody else is saying?

"Please clarify your definition."

"Since scientists are nihilistic, [insert long string of senseless unrelated peripheral crap here...]"

Not this one because it's completely ignorant of the goings on and begging, or crying out for, a train of hatred. Same as the last one, even includes cuss words like 'crap'.

Edited by s1eep

Have you given any thought at all to the possibility that your willful lack of formal scientific study has left you ill-equipped to judge whether or not your ideas have merit? That you might be wishfully hoping your ideas are right, while you can't find any evidence to support them?

I mean no disrespect. It's something every rational person should ask themselves when they find themselves swimming against the current. Is it likely everybody else is wrong? Personally, I'd want a whole lot more evidence to support my ideas if I was stating them the way you always have, assert them as fact, then sneer dismissively at anyone who doesn't agree with you. It's the very thing you accuse others of, only others usually have a lot more evidence to support themselves.

It's not valid disagreement. In the case of GTA V, an act of moderation in online gameplay spurred mass downvoting, when some of these reviews were in-depth about the game mechanics beyond moderation. These people are nihilistic somewhat, they seek making something into nothing as with the house and ruins example. There is also the potential of that individual, as with my ruins and house example again, which is obstructed, among other things.

It's a good analogy.

Edited by s1eep

!

Moderator Note

This has gone on too far. You are soap-boxing. I tried to get the discussion back on track - and various experienced member have tried to engage in debate; but each of your posts only have a barest connexion with the previous posts.

thread locked. Sleep - Do not reopen this topic.