Free energy with magnets?

lasix

Is it possible to get free energy with magnets? I'm asking because I came across this video and I can't figure out how it was done if it's not real. The video is a little long but it is making voltage.

Any thoughts?

Look what are settings of his multimeter: he is reading the lowest voltage possible on it. Probably in miliVolts mV.

You can repeat what he has doing with any piece of metal.

Plug multimeter to both ends of couple dozen centimeters metal plate or naked wire,

with mV settings enabled, and you will see how multimeter is changing reading, without doing anything.

It's basically radio antenna.

is it usable energy?

0.025 V = 25mV is ~10,000 less voltage than from power stations 230 V.

It's as usable as energy emitted by your hotter than air body @ 36.6 C

Edited by Sensei

is it usable energy?

No.

Some (fixed amount of) energy goes into creating a magnet.

If you remove it (use it up) then you no longer have a magnet.

If you use the magnetic force to do work to gain energy then the energy comes from the devive you use to move the magnet, not from the magnet itself.

There is no such thing as a free lunch in the known universe.

Edited by studiot

I know that which is why I don't understand what I'm seeing. There is no movement, yet the voltage is all over the place. I understand this is a small example with nominal voltage, but on a larger scale or in series... Ultimately, what is it that I am seeing?

I know another suggested it's basically an antenna, but I don't get that type of reading off my truck antenna.

No.

Some (fixed amount of) energy goes into creating a magnet.

If you remove it (use it up) then you no longer have a magnet.

If you use the magnetic force to do work to gain energy then the energy comes from the devive you use to move the magnet, not from the magnet itself.

There is no such thing as a free lunch in the known universe.

I understand that. So where is the voltage coming from when nothing is moving?

Edited by lasix

Magnets induce conduction voltage. Also they can receive other radiant stray electromagnetic signals. Note he wired up essentially a coil. Our air is full of various frequencies. The coil is probably picking up other frequencies.

Your car antennae is tuned to receive a set range of frequencies without inducing impedance. (Impedance mismatch generates reflective waves that reduce overall efficiency) coil isn't tuned, nor is it shielded from stray signals.

Edited by Mordred

but 0.25V?

That's basically and induction coil but without any diodes. I can't get anything near that on my truck antenna. Outside my house, I can get 0.001v on a 100 foot section of coiled 12G copper wire I live a few hundred feet from high voltage lines and a cell tower.

Are you able to replicate 0.25V?

but 0.25V?

That's basically and induction coil but without any diodes. I can't get anything near that on my truck antenna. Outside my house, I can get 0.001v on a 100 foot section of coiled 12G copper wire I live a few hundred feet from high voltage lines and a cell tower.

Are you able to replicate 0.25V?

At what current? You can have 0.25 volts at any current level

At what current? You can have 0.25 volts at any current level

I'm not claiming to be a scientist, understand physics, or electricity on a deep level. I'm not uneducated, but I am not a scientist. I'm trying to figure out what I'm seeing happen. That's why I came here.

Are you able to replicate 0.25V at any current level using stationary magnets and a bare wire coil?

You ask about free energy. and display a voltmeter reading 2.5 x 10-1 volts on a digital multimeter.

Voltage is not energy.

But the input resistance of a typical DVM is 107 Ohms

and power is V2 divided by R ie (2.5 x10-1)2 x 10-7 watts or just over 6 nanowatts.

So you are measuring about just over 6 nano joules in one second.

just to add to studiots reply

The formula is v=I*R voltage =current (in amps)*resistance(ohms). The amount of current is what is important in generating power. Voltage is the potential difference. If you have zero resistance, then no matter how much current you produce the voltage will be zero.

If you have a set current ie 1 amp and increase the resistance you increase the voltage.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_current

Power however is measured in watts

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watt

Edited by Mordred

You ask about free energy. and display a voltmeter reading 2.5 x 10-1 volts on a digital multimeter.

Voltage is not energy.

But the input resistance of a typical DVM is 107 Ohms

and power is V2 divided by R ie (2.5 x10-1)2 x 10-7 watts or just over 6 nanowatts.

So you are measuring about just over 6 nano joules in one second.

6 nano joules is > 0. That means this is actually a positive energy system?

As I explained its still not free energy. Your drawing from other transmission frequencies.

In point of detail yes you can do so but doing so is illegal. There are regulations against this. This is a form of stealing power from transmitted signals

http://www.academia.edu/6612738/Wireless_Power_Theft_Detection

I saw a mythbusters episode on that. They put the coils inches from high voltage transmission lines and had nearly zero energy transmission and was "busted".

I understand what you are saying that the coils are grabbing the signals, but that seems like a very high voltage compared with my attempts with bare wire at my house. Is that something you can replicate?

In my own attempt with bare wire coils I see 0.001 to 0.003 no where near 0.25.

Change the resistance, voltage means nothing in terms of power.

Your missing a key detail voltage is nothing but potential difference. The amount of current dictates the capable watts. Not voltage.

Regardless the methodology is restricted, via the FCC regulations in Canada. In the US If memory serves correct its NECS. Regulations.

Being in Canada. That's arbitrary.

However every country has its own particulars on stealing radiation power via transmissions. This is exactly what is being shown on this video. Nothing more. It is by no means zero power.

The laws of conservation of energy still apply. No free lunch.

(This forum considers laws and infractions, theft and unsafe acts are inherently against forum rules) not implying that you yourself are attempting so. However there is still the risk on this thread, this forum does consider unsafe and regulation infraction acts.

The circuit shown on the video is stealing power from what I see.

Again I stress this isn't your intention. However it is a factor

Edited by Mordred

I don't see where he had 250 mV on multimeter, just 25 mV. He just wrote about 0.25 V without showing it on too poor quality video. Otherwise tell at which second of movie you see 250 mV?

He is even making mistake in subtitles. Wrote at 7:14 "Still voltage is bouncing all around from as high as 60 ma to 9 am". Voltage is not measured in Amperes!

Edited by Sensei

lasix, from your posts, you seem to have an interest in electric/electronic experiments.

This is good but you need to get some solid facts and theory behind you so you can understand and properly evaluate things you are being shown.

I think legal discussion about captuing minute quantities of radio waves is a bit over the top.

But Mordred has offered you some solid Physics about Ohm's and other laws.

Capturing some 'free' energy from the air is easy.

Farmers and gardeners do it all the time when they lay black polythene on the ground to warm it or use greenhouses, cloches etc.

You voltmeter will not register anything from the light involved, but a suitable lightmeter would and black polythene is a suitable physical structure to receive it.

The electric field of waves given off by wiring and of radio waves can vary enormously from a few microvolts in the remote countryside to many volts, tens of volts or even greater near the source.

As I have shown you cannot draw significant power from most of these without suitable apparatus, though you can observe the voltage.

For those making electrical measurements or connections these are often unwanted signals (voltages).

This is why the standard connection cables are usually 50 ohms. These extraneous signals are soon cut down to size by this low impedance as the souce cannot maintain significant voltage into this low value.

In my workshop I do not need a coil or special magnets, I can simply dangle the test leads of a better quality voltmeter than used in the video over the edge of the bench and see the voltage jumping around several volts until I connect it to something or use a 50 ohm connection. Any Radio Amateur or Technician will show you this phenomenon. It has been known since we had meters.

Edited by studiot

I think legal discussion about captuing minute quantities of radio waves is a bit over the top.

I agree it's a bit over the top, I've seen similar ideas presented on radiogeeks.com. Most people aren't aware of the legal issues, it's not commonly known. That forum typically points it out. Got to be habit forming lol

I understand what you are saying that the coils are grabbing the signals, but that seems like a very high voltage compared with my attempts with bare wire at my house. Is that something you can replicate?

In my own attempt with bare wire coils I see 0.001 to 0.003 no where near 0.25.

That is the trouble with "experiments" on youtube. They are completely uncontrolled and have no more credibility than a magic trick. You don't know that he doesn't have some nearby source of varying electric/magnetic fields nearby that is inducing the current. He might have a faulty voltmeter. He might be fooling himself or deliberately cheating. Who knows. (And who cares. If this is a real thing, then it needs to be done - and replicated by others - under laboratory conditions.)