Extra files with ipad Mail app

Delbert

When receiving an email sent from an iPad using the Mail app containing one or more attachments, I also receive extra text file attachments. These extra attachments appear to contain any email text apparently typed after the file or files were attached. In other words, any text typed after attaching a file ends up in a text file attachment and not in the body of the email! I'm using Outlook 2010 and 2013.

It seems to me to be a bug with the iPad Mail app as it only occurs with emails from them.

I've told the iPad users to get a proper computer!

Anyone have any thoughts or experienced the same?

When receiving an email sent from an iPad using the Mail app containing one or more attachments, I also receive extra text file attachments. These extra attachments appear to contain any email text apparently typed after the file or files were attached. In other words, any text typed after attaching a file ends up in a text file attachment and not in the body of the email! I'm using Outlook 2010 and 2013.

It seems to me to be a bug with the iPad Mail app as it only occurs with emails from them.

I've told the iPad users to get a proper computer!

Anyone have any thoughts or experienced the same?

That would be a weird bug unless the technique they are using to attach files is very 'wrong.' Unless the server is sending the message in the wrong way in return, this should never happen. :wacko:

Microsoft Exchange Server is expecting the attachments to be at the end of the email.

You can ask them to:

Apple Mail
  • In Apple Mail, go to the menu Edit > Attachments
    • Make sure the following settings are checked:
      Always Send Windows-Friendly Attachments
      Always Insert Attachments at End of Message
  • Use the menu Mail > Preferences and go to the Composing section
    • Make sure that Message Format is set to "Plain Text"

With these settings, any attachments added with the "Attach" paperclip button will be put at the end of your message, after all message text.

Apple Mail still allows you do drag and drop attachments - if doing this, be sure to drop them at the end of the message. Attachments dropped in the middle of the message will cause any text that follows the attachment to be converted into another attachment.

http://kb.mit.edu/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=4981187

or just make sure their attachments come at the end of their text.

Microsoft Exchange Server is expecting the attachments to be at the end of the email.

You can ask them to:

http://kb.mit.edu/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=4981187

or just make sure their attachments come at the end of their text.

Well, tried a test message in Plain Text from my machine (haven't an iPad) whereby I inserted some text both before and after attaching attachment. The result was the received email had no extra text file and the text was as I typed such that one wouldn't have known at what point I placed the attachment.

I might add that I do have a Tablet (don't really know why I bought the thing!) and that doesn't show said extra files!! Although one has to action a 'Load more' button to see the bit that would've been in the extra text file! Indeed, sometimes one has to action 'Load more' on the Tablet to see any of the text!!! And then sometimes every line of the extra bit is prefixed with an '>'. One difference is that the Tablet's Mail application uses HTML, so perhaps the '>' indicates the sending format is Plain Text or this bit is from an extra text file - or something like that.

Anyway, not possessing or being cognisant with an iPad, it seems to be some sort of workaround to overcame Plain Text limitations. Plain Text limitations because as far as I can see the iPad Mail application doesn't or can't use HTML.

I'm sorry, but in general I find these iPad and Tablet thingies a bit rubbishy.