Insivible hair found in my leg

Theirtimewillcome

Define invisible, almost invisible, and how this differs from a normal hair on your leg. Are there any other relevant characteristics, such as length or thickness?

Well, if you try to look for it in my leg, you wont easily see it, but if you take some time, you could see it. It is invisible in a certain angle ; however, from 100% invisible i think it is 80-90 % , it has a really light white color, it seems like albino, but i think that is almost invisible. The lenght is the same as my other hairs, it's a little bit thicker than the rest.

PD: I'm not sure if I have been clear with the ideas. I'm just 17 years old and I'm peruvian .

Pretty much everything about your physical appearance is related to your DNA. (The scar and tattoos, not so much. :))

Yeah, I think so too, I wonder what could I do with my DNA if I could find out why it is almost invisible, and extract that portion of DNA and use it to make invisible materials and that kind of stuff.

PD: I'm really into sci-fi, Don't bother me :)

Edited by Theirtimewillcome

So, you are only 99.999999% perfect. I am truly devastated for you... how can life be so mean! :D It might not be genetic, maybe that follicle is just not functioning fully due to so some past injury to it.

LOL. Hmmm, I haven't thought about that! but... is it possible? have there been another cases?
PD: I'm a beginner. What is a follicle?

LOL. Hmmm, I haven't thought about that! but... is it possible? have there been another cases?
PD: I'm a beginner. What is a follicle?

Yes, you've got tens of thousands of them , you can't expect all of them to be exactly the same colour. That particular follicle is lacking pigment, that's all. You just notice it because your hair is very black and you are young so it stands out more. Wait another 15 years and you'll be riddled with white hairs. :)

250px-Hair_follicle-en.svg.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hair_follicle

Edited by StringJunky

Doesn't look invisible to me.

I'd say probably just a normal biological variation. Some might say a defect, but I'd say a variation. If by some bizarre situation in the wild such a hair was somehow advantageous to survival (even if it's nothing more than some odd mating attraction) you would have an advantage and win out over others. Your progeny would probably also benefit by inheriting said hair and so in the fullness of time it could become a feature of human biology.

On the other hand, if the variation is disadvantageous, then the reverse survival process occurs.

But in our sanitised world one just gets a razor and shaves it off, such that it'll make no difference one way or the other.

No need to invoke evolution here. Even DNA is is of limited relevance. The latter defines the overall background in which chemistry happens in your body but the actual processes the structure and coloration of your hair is based on what happens with the cells responsible for synthesizing it.

As StringJunky mentioned, age is one of those factors that are relevant.

Doesn't look invisible to me.

I'd say probably just a normal biological variation. Some might say a defect, but I'd say a variation. If by some bizarre situation in the wild such a hair was somehow advantageous to survival (even if it's nothing more than some odd mating attraction) you would have an advantage and win out over others. Your progeny would probably also benefit by inheriting said hair and so in the fullness of time it could become a feature of human biology.

On the other hand, if the variation is disadvantageous, then the reverse survival process occurs.

But in our sanitised world one just gets a razor and shaves it off, such that it'll make no difference one way or the other.

If it's normal, then other people must have so, there would have been other cases. Well, maybe they didnt notice it so, no one ever heard of it. Nice quote e.e .I dont think it is a drawback since it doesnt affect my body directly, I guess.

The hair isnt the problem, I like it! :)

No need to invoke evolution here. Even DNA is is of limited relevance. The latter defines the overall background in which chemistry happens in your body but the actual processes the structure and coloration of your hair is based on what happens with the cells responsible for synthesizing it.

As StringJunky mentioned, age is one of those factors that are relevant.

So, there is something wrong with my cells? Perhaps the age can be a factor , but I'm still doubtful

PD: Someday I'll find out why it happens.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello theirtimewillcome. I find that I have hairs of varying color as well. This is especially true on my forearms. Some hairs appear to be totally colorless while others are varying shades of reddish-blonde. In my case I don't think it's because of old age, it's just my genetics. I find that in the summer all the hairs tend to be lighter.

Another weird phenomena I've noticed is that periodically I will have hairs that keep growing and growing in length. Its always just one single strand. Its happened on my chest, stomach, forearms, and eyebrow >_< weird right? The long ones are usually clear looking and very thin. I usually just pluck them if it happens.

Anyways don't let your invisible hairs drive you crazy. Que tengas un buen dia.

Edited by Ryan1234

Another weird phenomena I've noticed is that periodically I will have hairs that keep growing and growing in length. Its always just one single strand. Its happened on my chest, stomach, forearms, and eyebrow >_< weird right? The long ones are usually clear looking and very thin. I usually just pluck them if it happens.

I get longies too, but they're usually coarser than their siblings. The eyebrows are the worst 'cause I think there's a bug on me. I hate that!

Hairs grow in cycles & here's a take on the longies which attributes them to an unusually long growth cycle.

Sometimes ONE single hair on my body is really long.. What does that? @ ask a Biologist

As to color:

Human hair color

Hair color is the pigmentation of hair follicles due to two types of melanin: eumelanin and pheomelanin. Generally, if more eumelanin is present, the color of the hair is darker; if less eumelanin is present, the hair is lighter. Levels of melanin can vary over time causing a person's hair color to change, and it is possible to have hair follicles of more than one color on the same person. ...

Too funny! Me too, ill keep trying to brush it away but doesn't work because it's attached lol interesting link on the longies because it seems like mine pop out of no were too. Like they grow 4 inches over night.

Update: theirtimewillcome, I just saw your video. That looks the same as the "longies" or "largitos" that I get from time to time.

Edited by Ryan1234