Function Inverse Help

Lightmeow

FYI this isn't homework help, this is me teaching myself.

I have a problem where the book tells me to solve for the inverse of the function. Then the book tells me to evaluate the inverse for:

[latex] h^{-1}(9) [/latex]

and...

[latex] h(9)^{-1} [/latex]

I can easily do the first one, but what the heck does the second equation mean??? And how do you do it, or is it the same thing just written differently? I've never seen that before!

Thanks in advance for help

Since you did not really explain any of the notation (admittedly not very easy to do if the notation is what confuses you in the first place) replies you get will have to be guess-work. One guess would be the following: If h(x) denotes the value of the function h at a given position x, then [math]h^{-1}(x)[/math] often means the value of h's inverse function [math]h^{-1}[/math] at value x, whereas [math]h(x)^{-1}[/math] would mean the value of the function h at position x taken to the power of -1. You'll have to check if that makes sense in your context, though.

Edited by timo