Cold Fusion

hakonmagnus

EDIT: Not cold fusion, just general fusion

Hello everybody, i would like to introduce my project on Fusion. Now i have an on-going funding campaign but it appears I'm not allowed to post the link for it as pointed to me by mods, but i will keep making posts about it so you can watch how my project goes.

Cold Fusion is basically nuclear fusion at room temperature. Now for all you scientists out there, i'm certain there will be skeptics about Cold Fusion, many argue that it can never happen based on a couple of reason, but a couple of designs have been made, the Polywell for example. The type i would like to start with is the Farnsworth-Hirsch fusor, and the Polywell was made by Robert W. Bussard (may he rest in peace). It is obvious that fusion has occurred because it has been tested using neutron detection. The only problem left, and with any fusion technology really, is how to actually harvest the energy and use it, and that is what i would like to research.

Edited by hakonmagnus
removal of link

The Farnsworth-Hirsch fusor typically runs at something like 10 to 100 KV.

That energy corresponds to a temperature of something like 100 million degrees (Or there abouts- I lost track of the zeros).

Why are you calling something like that "cold fusion"?"

Ah i stand corrected about the term "cold fusion". Sorry about that :P and thank you for pointing it out. Another error is that the Farnsworth-Hirsch wasnt made by Bussard however he did make a version of it and experimented with it.

Yes the Polywell and the Farnsworth-Hirsch usually operate at around 50kv, i belive the original prototype for the Polywell was created using mostly television parts. The main problem of the Farnsworth-Hirsch is that the inner grid, charged with about -10 to -100kv conducts away too much energy and mass, and the Polywell was Bussard's method of fixing that, and the Polywell is actually a rather promising design. I intend to research types of fusors and do experiments with whatever i can afford.

Hi Hakon,

I do not think your solicitation will be taken too keenly here; it is often seen as a bit "bad mannered" to enter into a community (forum) and immediately request something from the members. The moderators will likely remove your link for this reason, but please do stick around for a while and you may receive other support. There are several professional physicists on here, so if in your ventures you have some problems, you can post them on SFN and expect responses from those resident experts.

Also, to your fundraising effort itself, it would be helpful if you provided more information on the Indiegogo campaign, to make potential funders more confident in the project. Can you somehow verify your knowledge and experience? Maybe list previous patents, publications, or even typed up notes? Or if you've worked in private labs, relay your position? There's been a good bunch of previous work on cold fusion; how do your ideas relate to those? Cold fusion is largely unfeasible not because the experiments fail, but because the physics of producing such a system don't work out practically. If you had something, you could model it mathematically, which doesn't require much capital. Could you outline what you need the $15,000 for? Access to a supercomputer for simulation? This information would greatly increase the chances of a successful campaign.

Well i am sorry for requesting something immediately, its simply because this is my most important project at the moment. I still have a lot to learn about the general field of fusion, but i think the most important factor of any project is enthusiasm and will to carry on and not let the errors stop you from achieving your goals, and i certainly have that. But thank you for your tips, i'll certainly take them into account. The $15,000 dollars is meant for general equipment such as vacuum chambers, actual fusion fuels, neutron detection and power supplies. Vacuum gear is expensive for something like this since I'm aiming for a vacuum quality of 10^-9 torr. One blog about the types of fusors i mentioned is this: http://prometheusfusionperfection.com/

He has retired from the project now, but he obviously made an effort, and he has inspired me to do my own experiments with nuclear fusion.

But it's nice to meet you all, i'm sorry we got off to a bad start.

• 4 weeks later...

Farnsworth fusor is a nice little side experiment but won't yield net positive fusion power, don't even waste your time there.

You'll find 15k isn't nearly enough to get a decent system to experiment with fusion, let alone lab quality anyway. Vacuum levels that high are a nightmare, you need to heat the metal to pretty high temperatures just to degas it, and use materials which wouldn't off-gas and ruin your vacuum levels. Let alone have a system which will allow room for a polywell (going from memory here) ? several meters in radius, with cooled coils and enormous levels of capacitance and maybe a power source in the megawatts just to hope to gain net power as theorized by Bussard. An experiment like is MUCH too insurmountable for one single person unless your blind rich. The power factor correction capacitors alone must cost triple that price.