How are momentum and kinetic energy related?

tar

SwansonT,

But it seems that inertia is also involved directly, and while body B loses its resting inertia and gains the inertia of straight line motion, body A loses its momentum and gains some resting inertia. The forces which A enacts on B are equal to the forces B enacts on A, and kinetic energy is traded for potential energy, and both types of inertia seem equally powerful. It is just as hard to stop a mass, as it is to get it moving.

This one can easily feel and experience by attemping the rocking chair experiment and attempting to keep both hands locked in a radial position with respect to the chair. One ahead of up, and one behind up, so the acceration of gravity is aiding the muscles in one arm while resisting the muscles in the other. The mass of the hand and its tendencies to continue to move, and to stay stationary, are both felt and seen.

Regards, TAR

Again, you can't analyze this properly by cherry-picking examples that agree with your idea. The proper route is falsification; there are examples where KE and momentum do not behave the same. The similarity you see in some examples is not generally true. Momentum is momentum, and KE is KE.

SwansonT,

Understood. I am sort of a confirmation bias sort of guy. I look for the three things that confirm my idea and look right past the other 95 things that point to why my idea will not work.

Thank you and studiot for your patient explanations. The two, momentum and KE are not the same animal and I shouldn't be confusing them.

Regards, TAR