I need help with pool chlorine tablets

BarbieHoo

Hi! I have a swimming pool chlorinater with a sealed lid due to the drying out of the chlorine gases that rose to the top.Is there any easy solution to dissolve this seal? There is a cap screwed onto the canister with and o-ring. I thought I had a silicone gel applied that would prevent this from sealing. At this point it is impossible to remove the cap.

Anxious to hear all suggestions.

Thank you

Acme,

Thank you. My present attempt is to dissolve it with HOT water and soap. So far it's not budging. A new canister is not in the budget so it may just have to be reinstalled and not used.

Not the end of the world but I don't like not solving a problem even if it was with the use of some else's brain. hahaha

At least I found where to come to get the best answer.

Thank you

Acme,

Thank you. My present attempt is to dissolve it with HOT water and soap. So far it's not budging. A new canister is not in the budget so it may just have to be reinstalled and not used.

Not the end of the world but I don't like not solving a problem even if it was with the use of some else's brain. hahaha

At least I found where to come to get the best answer.

Thank you

Roger; you're welcome. You might try silicone spray to lubricate the threads. I'm no chemist though and can't say how it may react with chlorine.

Thank you.

I tried WD-40

I'll have to see if I have any silicone spray.

I'm thinking this didn't harden over night. I can't expect sudden dissolving just because I now want to fix it.

Thanks again.

StringJunky,

Thank you.

No that was new to me.

A friend tried securing it in a vice and using a pipe wrench to turn it. He quit when he heard the canister squeak. Said he was afraid the canister would break.

The hair dryer is a good idea. For now I have it soaking in a hot tub. I'll check it again in the morning.

Thank you, StringJunky for your thoughts.

If it's an air-tight container where no air can move in or out, there might be a bit of a vacuum in there, which can make it tighter. A tiny hole drilled through the top might help by equalising the pressure difference. I'm only guessing here because I don't know what it looks like.

StringJunky,

No, it's not air tight.

I've actually filled it with hot water to help soften whatever has it sealed.

I've given up on getting it opened and have reinstalled it as is.

I'll use an alternative means to chlorinated the pool.

Thanks for your offers to a solution.

StringJunky,

No, it's not air tight.

I've actually filled it with hot water to help soften whatever has it sealed.

I've given up on getting it opened and have reinstalled it as is.

I'll use an alternative means to chlorinated the pool.

Thanks for your offers to a solution.

I read a bit and the silicone lube is suppose to stop that. I suppose the chlorine vapours have as good as welded it.