Using one way anova?

ciznet

Can i use one way Anova in SPSS to compare proximate parameters for two samples? For instance, i have two samples subjected to proximate analysis of more than one parameters e.g Ash, Protein, Fat, etc Can i use One way anova to compare siginficant differences of these parameters in the two samples . my sample size is 48 in all? Thanks

Edited by ciznet

A two group one-way analysis of variation is completely equivalent to a t-test

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Student%27s_t-test

But these tests would normally be carried out on groups of data. I think you need to look at Hotellings T2 test.

However this is all a bit out of my league. If Capt Reffs wanders past he will be able to answer

Additional things to keep in mind: samples have to be independent, you need sufficient N, and from the sound of it you are looking at more variables than samples, which requires multiple testing correction such as control of FDR.

Edited by CharonY

Additional things to keep in mind: samples have to be independent, you need sufficient N, and from the sound of it you are looking at more variables than samples, which requires multiple testing correction such as control of FDR.

I have Two Samples and am looking at 8 variables. my N is 48

In that case take a look at control of FDR via Benjamini Hochberg (e.g. Hochberg, Benjamini 1990 Stat. Med. 9 811-8, which discusses it in the context of medical research and makes it quite easy to understand)