metabolizing fat or protein first?

People,

Say you have an animal (like a homo sapiens), with belly fat. Say, that animal (like homo sapiens) happens to go without food for say, 3-4 days. Will the body metabolize the stored fat first with the end result of having a trimmer abdomen whilst still not compromising the body's critical protein/vital nutrients store OR metabolize muscle protein instead of the stored fat?

Oh- by the way, This is not about my spare tire fat around my lower abdomen..........LOL.

Thanks

Upon starving conditions in which there are no more carbohydrates (glycogen) for the glycolytic pathway, your body will first metabolize fat (gluconeogensis) first then protein, with the latter resulting in ketone bodies (very bad). The body will metabolize lipids first, before proteins because it requires less energy, as it takes more energy to convert AA's into glucose. However, starving yourself isn't a means of adequate weight loss.

Also, your body is less likely to specifically target abdomen fat first for gluconeogensis. Fat is more transient in the face and extremities, which is why starving people have a sunken looking face. If you want to lose abdomen fat, either: do more ab workouts or go on a carb light diet..its the only way, bra.

~EE

Edited by Elite Engineer

do more ab workouts or go on a carb light diet

ab workouts. Diet tends to lead toward loose skin. Sure if you are eating mcDonalds every day then switch to healthier options but don't just rapidly reduce your calorie intake. But it isn't just ab workouts you need to do. Sprinting helps to build muscle mass. Skipping allows calcium into your spine, Boxing. Swimming for everything else. Larger the spare tyre the longer it would take but it should take longer than a year of continuous working out. Soft drinks are known to be bad especially coca cola so switch to milk/water/smoothies. Smoothies are really good because they don't taste bad and you are getting all your vitamins.

So what is healthy?

You should be able to do more than 40 pressups and 60 situps in 3 minutes. You should be and to run 2.5 kilometers in <10 minutes. Your Bmi should be within the healthy range http://www.bmicalculator.ie/

Edited by fiveworlds

Thnaks, people. Good to learn all this. Im actually very lean/lightweight- 145 lbs, 5'9". Just noticing some blubber down there, No fat anywhere else.

Hate sweet drinks- no coca cola period. BUT, Like 1-2 12 oz of beer with dinner. Is that a possible contributor? I heard the "beer belly" is a myth. I dont know.

Also, sit ups can destroy one's back. I do crunches with shoulders just off the floor. No use having a 6 pack ab with a destroyed back- this is well known in the Orthopedic world. Gotta be careful here. Still, gotts do something. I do the "plank" for 30 seconds at a time. Also, puch ups- 25 at a time. Guess I should continue.

Oh- my bmi is 21.6!! Normal!! Thanks, fiveworlds.

Thanks very much, people.

Edited by pippo

Hate sweet drinks- no coca cola period. BUT, Like 1-2 12 oz of beer with dinner. Is that a possible contributor? I heard the "beer belly" is a myth. I dont know.

Yeah beer is high in calories with little nutritional value most of the time. That's what makes alcorexia so scary it is this new trend we see in young people where they save their calories for drinking instead of eating healthy.

Also, sit ups can destroy one's back.Also, sit ups can destroy one's back.

True because it only works one set of muscles and doing too many without doing other exercises puts strain on the other muscle groups that aren't worked as well.

Thnaks, people. Good to learn all this. Im actually very lean/lightweight- 145 lbs, 5'9". Just noticing some blubber down there, No fat anywhere else.

Lol @ 145lbs is nothing. I'm 5'9" and 190 lbs, but Im all muscle (not tryingto brag :P )

~ee

Lol @ 145lbs is nothing. I'm 5'9" and 190 lbs, but Im all muscle (not tryingto brag :P )

~ee

I know 145 is nothing. Thats why Im just 145. I am "light framed". Are you "stocky"? My belly blubber may account for say, 2-3 lbs. Im considering quitting my favorite Northern germany Pilzn beer.

I know 145 is nothing. Thats why Im just 145. I am "light framed". Are you "stocky"? My belly blubber may account for say, 2-3 lbs. Im considering quitting my favorite Northern germany Pilzn beer.

Ya I'm pretty stocky. Thick shoulders, solid arms.