Two meanings or a single one ? [English]

Externet

Yes. The first is abnormally formal; I can't imagine anyone saying it in modern English. Actually, on second thoughts, the first could be interpreted as requesting permission: "Mom, [will you] let us ride on the train." (The second form can't be used that way.)

Note that the comma is essential. "Mom let us ride on the train" has a completely different meaning.

This is the comma of direct address, aka the Donner Party comma (*); it makes the difference between "Let's eat, Grandma" and "Let's eat Grandma".

(*) What? Too soon?

Thanks. Would it still be abnormally formal if the intended meaning is "Mom, allow us to ride the train" ?

I don't think so. But it sounds a little unnatural to me. And perhaps more of a demand, with an implied "or else" at the end!

Thanks. Would it still be abnormally formal if the intended meaning is "Mom, allow us to ride the train" ?

"Let's" is most commonly the English formation of the (first person plural) imperative.

Whereas the phrase "Will you let us..?" or "Will you allow us..?" is seeking permission and would, especially in spoken English, be replaced with "Can we..?" or "May I..?"

edit - to show two distinct usage

Edited by imatfaal
format

When the meaning of 'lets' is 'allow', there is no apostrophe. You would write "Mom, let us ride the train." if speaking to Mom, or "Mom lets us ride the train." if speaking to someone other than Mom.

In your original 2 sentences [if speaking to Mom] I would use a semicolon and either would be correct to say. The meanings I think are different in that the first, "Mom; let us ride on the train." is a demand, whereas the second, "Mom; let's ride on the train." is a suggestion. In the latter there is an implication that Mom is riding together with the speaker but no such implication in the former unless it is understood as being an overly formal statement as already mentioned.

By now all have missed the train and this lets us off the hook. Let's drop the subject.

"Shall" sounds pretty dated to me, as well. I don't think the word is part of my idiolect.

Leaving us separated by a common language perchance? :P What is missing from the original sentences is a context whereby we may discern the meaning.