Does this experiment demonstrate many worlds?

Alexander1304

Hello All,

Here and there is talk that many worlds/multiverse cannot be tested.

But what about Elitzur-Vaidman bomb test in 1990s? Hasn't it demonstrated validity of this interpretation?

Please,read this interview with Lev Vadiman,one of the prominent advocates of MWI,where he talks that in this experiment communication between universes took place:

http://joehubris.com/node/78

- and let me know what you think.

I'll try:

From interview:

Question: "Relating directly to MWI, are these experiments getting information from a parallel universe?"

Prof. Vaidman: Well, in a sense, yes. Because in a parallel universe there was an explosion. Or in a parallel world--there is only one universe. In the MWI there is one physical universe and many worlds which look like ours. There are many different stories. In one story, there is an explosion. In another, there is no explosion. So, in a sense, with interaction-free measurement, in one world we get information about the bomb which exploded in another one. So, in some sense, it's close to what you are saying.

So does those results rely on MWI being true? (Which would be a stronger assertion than merely being consistent with MWI being true). I think the answer is no.

I am not physicist, so I really don't know .Therefore I'm here to posit the question. These experiments are by no means are recent - they were made by 1990s.I communicated directly to few physicists who performed them - so far no response. But one prominent physicist told me that:

all interpretations of quantum mechanics give the same result. It has nothing special about Many worlds.

I am not physicist, so I really don't know .Therefore I'm here to posit the question. These experiments are by no means are recent - they were made by 1990s.I communicated directly to few physicists who performed them - so far no response. But one prominent physicist told me that:

I cannot see anything that is distinctive about that experiment ie that would allow an interpretation to be tested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation#Comparative_properties_and_possible_experimental_tests

I did. His arguments seem to be that anything else feels paradoxical - that's an interpretation not an empircally determined idea. This sums up what he said I think

You sound like someone who truly believes that the best supported position is MWI.
Prof. Vaidman: Yes.
Based on your own knowledge and your own experience.
Prof. Vaidman: Correct.

An experiment that showed a preference for one interpretation over the others would mean that it would be Based on proof - rather than "Based on your own knowledge ..."

I cannot see anything that is distinctive about that experiment ie that would allow an interpretation to be tested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation#Comparative_properties_and_possible_experimental_tests

In the link You provided there is another thing in favor of MWI,although it sounds like speculation :

"Some cosmologists argue that the universe is in a false vacuum state and that consequently the universe should have already experienced quantum tunnelling to a true vacuum state. This has not happened and is cited as evidence in favor of many-worlds. In some worlds, quantum tunnelling to a true vacuum state has happened but most other worlds escape this tunneling and remain viable. This can be thought of as a variation on quantum suicide."

He seems to be making the argument that in quantum teleportation ( of a photon ) and entanglement, the observer is getting information ( ???? ) from a non-local or causally disconnected place; and he attributes this information as being 'transferred' from one of the other 'worlds'.

This is the impression I got from the link, and I don't agree with it.

( his answer to the 5th question, " Everett's theory..." )

Edited by MigL