Could a human cell get hotter than 200 degrees via its own chemical reactions?

LisaLiel

Why not?

And people have survived this including a man named Frank Baker, and also baby Rahul in India. They were most certainly alive when they were lit on fire by internal means. Something to do with the skin cells, apparently.

It was a question, and I'm confused because people say metabolism would instantly stop at say 60 C but you have cases where people apparently self-combusted, and there was the case of a survivor on the Science Channel a few years back. It would take a temperature of about 500-700 C in order to ignite the skin in a local area.

Edited by LisaLiel

It was a question, and I'm confused because people say metabolism would instantly stop at say 60 C but you have cases where people apparently self-combusted, and there was the case of a survivor on the Science Channel a few years back. It would take a temperature of about 500-700 C in order to ignite the skin in a local area.

There's a reason why we self-regulate our core temperature within tight bounds of about 3oC tops: our enzymes are quite temperature-sensitive and will denature leading to our very likely demise above that. Cremation requires 1500oF for about two hours to ignite and consume a body. It is also between 50-75% water, so I think we can safely say these stories are without scientific foundation.

Edited by StringJunky

!

Moderator Note

This is a science site, and you are not posting this in speculations. More and better evidence, please, for any claims about spontaneous combustion being a legitimate phenomenon.

"people say metabolism would instantly stop at say 60 C "

Given that, at about 60 c all the proteins that bring about metabolism denature and stop working, what else could they say/

"but you have cases where people apparently self-combusted"

Things are not always as they appear.

Just because we can't get a person who is engulfed in flames into a lab (that'd be a major health and occupational hazard, I'm guessing) doesn't mean SHC doesn't exist or we should dismiss all cases of it just because nobody has had it happen to them while under laboratory watch.

If you noticed the thread title, it is discussing the possibility. This is the only real way to talk about SHC because the evidence well, burns away, but that doesn't automatically make a good excuse to say with complete confidence it doesn't happen. That is a lazy way to go into a debate or discussion, especially when we have consistent testimonials throughout the decades of this exact same thing.

So, what happened to Frank Baker? Is anyone here a doctor? The documentary was on the Science Channel a few years ago, and it also made the news. A doctor diagnosed him with partial spontaneous combustion.

There's a reason why we self-regulate our core temperature within tight bounds of about 3oC tops: our enzymes are quite temperature-sensitive and will denature leading to our very likely demise above that. Cremation requires 1500oF for about two hours to ignite and consume a body. It is also between 50-75% water, so I think we can safely say these stories are without scientific foundation.

True, the body is about 50-75% water, but in Frank's case, he mentions that it was his skin cells that had set him alight. The surface of the skin isn't wet, and can certainly ignite if it gets hot enough.

Edited by LisaLiel

If you noticed the thread title, it is discussing the possibility.

It's discussing the possibility of something impossible.

The reasons for that have nothing to do with SHC not happening in labs.

They are a lot to do with denaturation temperatures of proteins.

Why are you still going on about this?

If you noticed the thread title, it is discussing the possibility. This is the only real way to talk about SHC because the evidence well, burns away, but that doesn't automatically make a good excuse to say with complete confidence it doesn't happen. That is a lazy way to go into a debate or discussion, especially when we have consistent testimonials throughout the decades of this exact same thing.

I see what you're trying to do here, trying to sneak "consistent testimonials" in under the wire. Remember when we were discussing the resistance to polygraph tests? The only thing consistent about those testimonials is that none of them have any more than the word of the person it allegedly happened to to back them up.

Did you really create another account to talk about this because BlueSpike was never able to convince anyone that SHC is real?