Bypassing ISP Policies in Regards to Hotspots

Unity+

So, I was just thinking about this earlier and thought I would just share my idea. I don't know if this is an actual bypass. Inform me if it is, though.

The idea involves developing an app that allows a mobile device/PC to connect to the hotspot device(which also has the app) that has the Internet access. While the device doesn't provide direct access to the Internet, what happens is the hotspot device would allow requests from the connected devices. Essentially, the connected devices make requests of webpages to the device. The hotspot device would then download that requested webpage and then send it to the device that requested it. That is just the basic aspect of it.

So, what do you think? Is this a bypass or simply just an inefficient process that would also be breaking the rules(I don't see why it would be).

It looks like you're thinking of piggybacking or tethering, depending on the relationship between the routing and dependant devices / users. What you described is essentially how most implementations work, and in fact, how "downloading" works (**note, your router is a computer**).

From the definitions within Wikipedia, it is close but not really what I am talking about. What I am talking about is not allowing the connected devices to have direct access, but the requests sent to the device that is acting as the hotspot and the hotspot device will essentially download the webpage to itself and then send the information requested for to the user asking for it. It doesn't give the user access to the Internet access, simply access to the information. It would be limited, but possible.

I use my phone as a portable wifi hotspot and link my laptop to it.

I don't think hotspots are against ISP policy unless it is for the purpose of allowing other users access to the device, which can be detectable. This is just making it harder for them to detect it.

NOTE: I am not condoning this activity. I am simply giving tips.

From the definitions within Wikipedia, it is close but not really what I am talking about. What I am talking about is not allowing the connected devices to have direct access, but the requests sent to the device that is acting as the hotspot and the hotspot device will essentially download the webpage to itself and then send the information requested for to the user asking for it. It doesn't give the user access to the Internet access, simply access to the information. It would be limited, but possible.

I think you are not understanding. In any case of downloading (that means accessing a web page here), information is passed between devices and at some point stored on each one in the process, the particularities of which are those of the protocol and software implementing it. A system which does all this, but restricts the communication to HTTP and downloads the web page and then sends it to another device, is not different. It might help to give those articles a more thorough read; they apply here directly, esp with the implication that someone is not completely aware or condoning of the connection, but still so otherwise.

I'm tried and about to pass out, but hope this helped.

Satout.

I don't think hotspots are against ISP policy unless it is for the purpose of allowing other users access to the device, which can be detectable. This is just making it harder for them to detect it.

NOTE: I am not condoning this activity. I am simply giving tips.

With my ISP, Giffgaff, you are only allowed to do what I do on a fixed data package - mine's 5GB. If you get the unlimited download plan it's not allowed, owing to people abusing it. Anybody is allowed, with my permission to use my internet; I'm paying for it.

With my ISP, Giffgaff, you are only allowed to do what I do on a fixed data package - mine's 5GB. If you get the unlimited download plan it's not allowed, owing to people abusing it. Anybody is allowed, with my permission to use my internet; I'm paying for it.

Verizon must be different then, as well as CenturyLink.

I think you are not understanding. In any case of downloading (that means accessing a web page here), information is passed between devices and at some point stored on each one in the process, the particularities of which are those of the protocol and software implementing it. A system which does all this, but restricts the communication to HTTP and downloads the web page and then sends it to another device, is not different. It might help to give those articles a more thorough read; they apply here directly, esp with the implication that someone is not completely aware or condoning of the connection, but still so otherwise.

I'm tried and about to pass out, but hope this helped.

Satout.

Yeah, didn't see the part about modems. I apologize for that.

Verizon must be different then, as well as CenturyLink.

Yeah, didn't see the part about modems. I apologize for that.

I think internet access, prices and policies are much better and freer in the UK than the US. Giffgaff are very in tune with and encourage the feedback from its users; their polices and plans are refined by user feedback.

Edited by StringJunky

Tor

https://www.torproject.org/

Download and install app browser, that's modified Mozilla/Firefox. When you go to URL it's sending packet to Tor server (each time randomly picked one), instead of where you wanted to go. Then that server is sending real requests to website, downloading it, and then sending to you in encrypted form..

ISP won't know where you go, what you watched, and won't filter, block it.

Edited by Sensei

So rather than merely forwarding the packets, the server will accept - reformat - resend?

Have you heard of mobile hotspots such as Mifi?

If it's sending the information back through the internet, then why? Is it adding another layer of encryption?

Edited by MonDie

So rather than merely forwarding the packets, the server will accept - reformat - resend?

Have you heard of mobile hotspots such as Mifi?

If it's sending the information back through the internet, then why? Is it adding another layer of encryption?

It would send it to the device requesting, not through the internet again through some other process. Bluetooth, maybe?

• 3 weeks later...

What are the ISP policies anyway? I thought you might find NoCat interesting.

Warning: www.nocat.net is redirecting to hackerfriendly.com for some reason.

Proprietary solutions are available for creating wireless hot spots, but why go for a closed-source solution when your favorite operating system and freely licensed tools can do it on a spare PC?

[You will need] NoCatAuth hot spot/portal software (free, open-source and available at www.nocat.net).

[and] A wireless access point, or several. Access points function as a bridge between the wired and wireless segments of your network.

NoCat builds a captive portal by assigning incoming users an IP address using DHCP and restricting network access until the user has validated, be it as a guest, paying customer or administrator.

NoCat uses the standard Linux iptables firewalling to control network access.

LinuxJournal: Linux-Powered Wireless Hotspots by Mike Kershaw

Edited by MonDie

The idea involves developing an app that allows a mobile device/PC to connect to the hotspot device(which also has the app) that has the Internet access. While the device doesn't provide direct access to the Internet, what happens is the hotspot device would allow requests from the connected devices. Essentially, the connected devices make requests of webpages to the device. The hotspot device would then download that requested webpage and then send it to the device that requested it. That is just the basic aspect of it.

Of course you can I have a tp-link wifi-box in my computer that allows it.