collection of previous speeches, presentations, and posters for EFL grad students' English practice?

gregconquest

Hi,

I am going to be teaching a grad student class here in Japan on presentations. It will be a small class of only a half-dozen or so students, some of whom will be in their first year, who are studying in the computer science and speech recognition fields. In order to get them best prepared for articulating their theses in English, and defending and integrating ideas, I am searching for collections of previously delivered speeches, (Powerpoint) presentations, and posters (for poster sessions) from the sciences. I'll have my students choose some of these to study well enough to speak on, present, and defend.

Can anyone help guide me on where I can find such resources? These don't have to be from non-native speakers, and the topics can vary into other fields as long as it is in the hard sciences.

Thanks for any help. My preliminary searches are coming up totally empty.

Edited by gregconquest

I have been thinking about this...

in principle I could send you slides from a talk aimed at undergraduate students on odd variables, supermanifolds, fermions and supersymmetry. The problem is that, like all slides, I said a awful lot more than is actually on the slides. You students will simply not understand the presentation as it is. However, it could still be useful as an example.

Let me know what you think.

I think that most presentations you might find are of sufficient level that a student could not be expected to defend the ideas. Especially because, as ajb notes, you only get the outline of the concept, and there's critical information that's not on the slides.