How Is It To Be A Scientist?

voultsi

Hello people, this is my first post to your forum and as a little bit new to the science world , i would like to ask you a question : How is it to be a scientist(Physicist,Mech.Engineer,Chemist etc.)? The only example of a scientist's life that i have seen is The Big Bang Theory... Of course i am aware that it makes a little bit fun of scientist showing them as people that dont have that good of social skills and that this is not obviously true, but are all the other aspects real? For example , their free time-time for hobbys , their financial situation , their work place , their earnings?

P.S I am asking all these because i am 16 years old and i want to become a scientist(Engineer)

Greeting from Greece !! :D

The only example of a scientist's life that i have seen is The Big Bang Theory... Of course i am aware that it makes a little bit fun of scientist showing them as people that dont have that good of social skills and that this is not obviously true, but are all the other aspects real?

It is accurate in the sense that you meet a range of people. That said, most of the scientists I know you would classify as 'normal', they are married with children etc.

For example , their free time-time for hobbys ,

This will depend on the stage of their career. Postdocs are busy as they have a lot to prove (I am at this stage), an early stage lecturer also has lots to do and new respectabilities. Once a bit more senior I can imagine more time for hobbies.

Now don't get me wrong, we all need hobbies and can find some time, just the job is not usually 9 to 5 weekdays only. You work when you get that inspiration and work hard. The plus side of this is that I am relatively flexible if something comes up, and don't have to be in the office at work all the time. I can work at home easily enough. Now, that would not be so easy if I were doing experimental science.

their financial situation ... their earnings?

Again this will depend on the stage of the career. Generally scientists are not what I would call highly paid, but it is well above average.

their work place

I can only really speak for Sheldon here, a small office with a desk and a black/white board is correct.

Edited by ajb

I can only really speak for Sheldon here, a small office with a desk and a black/white board is correct.

Correct for theoretical scientists.

For experimental, you will see lot of equipment.

f.e. on the left side of me is Cloud Chamber, on second there is camera on tripod and retort stand with attached Graham condenser (spiral).

Aside from what others said, the career paths takes a long time (get PhD, postdoc for an indeterminate amount of time) with very low likelihood of success. Once you are faculty, things are not necessarily that much better. Pay is better (postdocs often get in the 30-45k range in the US, assistant profs usually 60-80k), but your duties multiply. You have to create and teach courses (new courses eat an incredible amount of time), have to establish a research lab and have administrative duties.

Establishing a research lab is more than a full-time job itself, as you have to get grants, hire and manage researchers. Especially in experimental labs you almost never do research yourself, but rather you direct it. If you get a bad crop of researchers it can dent your career right there. Then you have all the teaching duties which includes preparation of lecturesr/seminars/exams/ marking, student interaction etc. All those things further reduce the time you have got.

In fact you are likely to be busier than as a postdoc (but at least you work for yourself now). However, you are going to be around or close to 40 at this point and most learned to eke out some time for family to balance their jobs. Those that do not, tend to burn out. But as workload comes, it gets busier and busier. Even tenure does not change much, unless you decide to let research go, or work in an area that is less dependent on personnel and money. Late in the career is probably the least busiest...

First welcome, voultsi, and congratulations on your English.

I can just about recognise the Greek letters.

:)

There have been huge changes in the career paths for both scientists and engineers over the last 50 years.

I expect the next 50 will also see great change.

You should only think of doing science or engineering if you really want to, not for the money.

The money is poor compared to what a clever person can earn pursuing other careers.

Any difference between science and engineering is becoming less.

People measuring water quality or air quality are considered applied scientists, not engineers.

But really all engineering is just applied science.

You may have seen CSI or other forensic science programs on TV. This is a growth area to consider.

What interests you finding out or doing and making?

It is also worth noting that no two scientists will have the same experiences. There are many different fields and sub-fields in science, each of those have very different tracks whether they be in academia or industry, research or application. Good scientists will always be in demand and develop skills through their education that separates them from the rest. So it is a safe bet to stay keen on the sciences, and if bitten by the science bug you will never regret it.

Well, it is a bit optimistic all things concerned, but obviously, if one has a drive for this field, there is little like it. It can be challenging to build a successful career, like all highly competitive jobs.

Due to the long timelines and attrition involved , regret is somewhat common at every step, unfortunately.

Edited by CharonY