Why Windows Old Version OS cant be installed on latest computers?

Ganesh Ujwal

You can still run it on a virtual machine, like QEMU or Virtual Box, although you probably will find it very inconvenient to utilize. I actually still use Windows XP as a virtual machine under a linux operating system, since there are times when you just have to use Windows, but mostly linux is versatile enough.

Windows XP Pro runs smoothly on either Core 2 Duo, and mine Core i7 machines..

I don't recall having also problems with Windows ME.

Win98 I never had.

Obviously there might be problems related to lack of drivers for modern hardware though.

Without dedicated drivers, gfx card will run in software frame-buffer mode like in BIOS (no GPU acceleration so everything slooow), built-in mb sfx card won't play, built-in Ethernet card won't send/receive data, USB won't work etc. etc.

Newer processors have a 64-bit architecture, unlike the old 32-bit.

Ubuntu releases a 32-bit and a 64-bit installation.

That must be irrelevant.

Win98 I never had.

Oh.

That doesn't make me younger.

So you have never experienced the horror of a black DOS screen I presume, with the silly little - blinking.

So you have never experienced the horror of a black DOS screen I presume, with the silly little - blinking.

I take exception to that. I wistfully cast back at the remembrance of the joy of that silly little blink on black which both invited and dared me on my dual 5.25 floppy 8088. Ah well, surrender gracefully the things long past. :)

More on topic, I have a hard drive with Windows 98 and an early version of Deneba's Canvas among other programs. I would dearly love to be able to transfer it and run it on my Windows 7 lappy. Specifics on achieving this will be well received.

I take exception to that. I wistfully cast back at the remembrance of the joy of that silly little blink on black which both invited and dared me on my dual 5.25 floppy 8088. Ah well, surrender gracefully the things long past. :)

More on topic, I have a hard drive with Windows 98 and an early version of Deneba's Canvas among other programs. I would dearly love to be able to transfer it and run it on my Windows 7 lappy. Specifics on achieving this will be well received.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/3489206/run-windows-98-programs-in-windows-7/

Muchas gracias. Alas, I may still be screwed.

...Users of 64-bit versions of Vista, Windows 8, or Windows 7 Home can't do this. Now it gets complicated and expensive. In essence you need to download and install a free virtual machine program, such as VMWare Player. The trouble is you will need a licence for an older version of Windows such as Windows XP, to run on your virtual machine. ...

Color me 64 bit bitten (bited?). Note the misspelling of license is theirs. :doh: Anyway, I do have a licensed copy of Canvas and I checked a couple years ago about an upgrade and IIRC it was around $200. I may check again just for kicks. Even then my old Canvas files may or may not work in the new version.

So on the issue of getting the data off the old hard drive. It's not in a machine, it's just the drive. I presume I could take it to a shop & they could transfer everything to a thumby. Oui/no? If oui, what could I expect it to cost?

..... Note the misspelling of license is theirs :doh:.

In English-English, one has a licence (noun) but one is licensed (verb). It's probably an English mag.

So on the issue of getting the data off the old hard drive. It's not in a machine, it's just the drive. I presume I could take it to a shop & they could transfer everything to a thumby. Oui/no? If oui, what could I expect it to cost?

Have you tried just copying the files you want to a usb stick and then putting them on your new computer?

Edit: Just noticed you said it was just a drive. To do it yourself, you need a compatible external harddrive enclosure I think and then it will just be like a normal drive you can read and take stuff off. The W98 OS won't work but still readable and extractable. Just done this myself with a screwed up W7 computer, It cost about 20ish dollars in your currency (£14). A shop might cost more.

Edited by StringJunky

In English-English, one has a licence (noun) but one is licensed (verb). It's probably an English mag.

Those Brits! Am I being too pernickety-snickety? :lol: Hope you got that joke earlier; I was aware both are correct.

Have you tried just copying the files you want to a usb stick and then putting them on your new computer?

Well, the drive is not in a machine. It came out of an old hand-me-down tower that had no USB or even a writable CD. I was moving and had no monitor for it so I took the drive out and junked the rest. I have a laptop now so no option to just plug the drive in like a desktop.

Those Brits! Am I being too pernickety-snickety? :lol: Hope you got that joke earlier; I was aware both are correct.

Well, the drive is not in a machine. It came out of an old hand-me-down tower that had no USB or even a writable CD. I was moving and had no monitor for it so I took the drive out and junked the rest. I have a laptop now so no option to just plug the drive in like a desktop.

Yeah I know, but you know how it is between 'you lot and us': two nations divided by a common language. :D

This looks the job for you; check the size of your drive to be sure, which is 3.5": http://www.amazon.co.uk/L803B-Drive-Enclosure-External-compatible/dp/B000JK769E

Although W98 is not listed there it says you get a cd containing the W98 driver with it.

Edited by StringJunky

Speaking of Windows 98, you've probably noticed that the space needed for the Windows Operating system has grown considerably, this wouldn't be possible without the simultaneous advances made in data storage device as well as CPU speed. Though this comparision is not paticularly pleasing, it wouldn't be too wrong to say Windows is now a fat and obese thing that swallows about 50 GB for the average user. Compare that to operating system that could run on a couple of MB. And you also need to spend money on anti virus sofwares... what a pain. If you really need Windows, use Windows 98 :D

Note: For fans of Windows ( or those who spent money on it ), please don't feel offended these are just my personal opinions.

Win98 I never had.

Oh.

That doesn't make me younger.

You made premature assumptions. I simply switched directly from Windows 95 to Windows ME, skipping 98.

The first computer I get in 1986 was Atari 130 XE with 128 KB memory (I don't count Atari console to play). It could display up to 128 colors using special mode DLI (Display List Interrupt), called every row of screen (so approximately 12,000-15,625 times per second). Two years later I was programming its CPU machine code (anyway it's the only way to handle CPU interrupts). At that times almost everybody programmed computers, as long as they had computer. Because everything loaded from tape with rate 20-60 minutes each time, and Basic (each 8 bit computer had it built-in) was available immediately. You wanted or not wanted, you learned programming.

ps. Blinking was to tell user where is cursor. Actually cursor I am using right now also is blinking in Firefox.

Another blinking of screen I recall was while loading something. If it stopped blinking something went wrong, and computer crashed/blocked. So blinking was also information that everything goes smoothly.

Edited by Sensei

Speaking of Windows 98, you've probably noticed that the space needed for the Windows Operating system has grown considerably, this wouldn't be possible without the simultaneous advances made in data storage device as well as CPU speed. Though this comparision is not paticularly pleasing, it wouldn't be too wrong to say Windows is now a fat and obese thing that swallows about 50 GB for the average user. Compare that to operating system that could run on a couple of MB. And you also need to spend money on anti virus sofwares... what a pain. If you really need Windows, use Windows 98 :D

Note: For fans of Windows ( or those who spent money on it ), please don't feel offended these are just my personal opinions.

Yeah, unix OS are better.

• 1 month later...