Is there a age limit to when you can start teaching?

Marshalscienceguy

Is there a age limit to when you can start teaching? Like if you got a job you did for say 20 years and retired and wanted to be a teacher in your late 40s or early 50s would that be possible? or is there a cut off age? I know there is a cut off age for other things like being a cop or Military but I have seen a lot of older teachers. So could you start teaching at an older age or do you have to be Young?

In the UK if you wanted to teach in a state funded school then you will need proper qualifications. I don't think there is any official age cut off other than retirement age. I my school there were teachers who had other jobs before.

In a private school there are far less formal rules and you do not need any teaching qualifications.

I have no idea about the US.

There is typically no hard age limit (depends on institution, though and the closer to retirement age, the less likely it usually gets), however it depends on what you teach and what skills you bring relative to younger guys. In some cases additional relevant skills can be a bonus.

Edited by CharonY