Hot Topics in Cell Biology

As the name suggests, I am hoping for members to share topics that are the focus and discussion among scientists right now in cell biology. I am interested in synthetic biology, which I believe falls in this category and would like to learn about others.

Specifics and examples are not required but certainly welcomed.

• 1 month later...

Gene therapy - This field focus on transferring gene to human cells.

RNA interference (RNAi) - This technique prevents gene expression by inhibiting RNA translation

Genome editing - People have discovered and developed enzymes that can remove genes from the genome. It is possible to remove HIV from the human genome.

Drug delivery - Synthetic lipoproteins can be used to deliver drugs specifically to cancer cells

DNA synthesis - This allows us to create life from digital code. The DNA sequence of a virus (not considered life) was sent over the Internet and the virus was created by synthesising the genome.

DNA sequence - Used for disease diagnosis

Stem cell research - Used for disease modelling currently but it will be used to treat disease and grow organs

Monoclonal antibodies

Genetic engineering - Mostly a field concerned with altering bacteria and plants for beneficial products

• 2 months later...