A planet that functions similar to a Galaxy

MarieB

The purposes of this topic are intended for but not limited to creative discussion, learning, hypothesis and theoretical discussions.

Is it possible to create an artificial self-sustaining planet? self-sustaining in terms of Earth.

If the above question is possible then,can that planet be as large as a Galaxy and if not, can it be "of substantial size" relative to the Galaxy? Galaxy in terms of the milky way(our galaxy)

If the above is possible then, can that planet or whatever you may call it be able to function as a spheroid that exhibits the characteristics of both a galaxy and a planet?

I have to be honest that I am not what you may call a knowledgeable person in Physics nor in most sciences and I did neglect them in the past, but I it's not too late too learn! It is only until recently have I discovered passion for science and I'm glad with it, I just hoped I discovered it earlier. So please take this into consideration and if possible can you refer to me the sources, books, and any other resource that you use so that I too may be able to read, study and learn from them. Thank You!

-Marie

The purposes of this topic are intended for but not limited to creative discussion, learning, hypothesis and theoretical discussions.

Is it possible to create an artificial self-sustaining planet? self-sustaining in terms of Earth.

If the above question is possible then,can that planet be as large as a Galaxy and if not, can it be "of substantial size" relative to the Galaxy? Galaxy in terms of the milky way(our galaxy)

If the above is possible then, can that planet or whatever you may call it be able to function as a spheroid that exhibits the characteristics of both a galaxy and a planet?

I have to be honest that I am not what you may call a knowledgeable person in Physics nor in most sciences and I did neglect them in the past, but I it's not too late too learn! It is only until recently have I discovered passion for science and I'm glad with it, I just hoped I discovered it earlier. So please take this into consideration and if possible can you refer to me the sources, books, and any other resource that you use so that I too may be able to read, study and learn from them. Thank You!

-Marie

The size of a galaxy? You'll have to be a bit more specific. A planet bigger than the earth would almost certainly have stronger gravity. If you had a planet that was twice earths diameter but with the same density the gravity would be 4X earth normal. In other words if you weigh 100 lbs on the earth you would weigh 400 lbs on that planet...

A body as large as our galaxy would be so massive it would almost certainly collapse into a black hole..

If you tried to build a object as large as a galaxy but with 1g gravity on its surface, it would be inside the event horizon for the amount of mass it would take to make it. IOW, No. That much mass in that small a volume would be inside a black hole.

I think I was not able to properly convey my question due to my lack of knowledge and so I'll study first.

In the mean time,

Not right now.

Then might it be possible to create a self-sustaining bio-sphere outside earth? in terms that it can support an ecosystem.

I think I was not able to properly convey my question due to my lack of knowledge and so I'll study first.

In the mean time,

Then might it be possible to create a self-sustaining bio-sphere outside earth? in terms that it can support an ecosystem.

I see no reason why it could not be done, I doubt you could create a 100% independent ecosystem in space but you could come very close. Gravity is the most difficult part but a spinning cylinder or torus should work.

The very existence of life on Earth proves that a biosphere can work.

The difficulty is that nobody on Earth knows what it needs to make a biosphere. Every single previous attempt (there have been few) has failed, and we ignore why.

One difficulty is that we don't know all organisms that play a role in one biological cycle. Maybe we put 102 species in a bubble but it needs 106 to be viable and we haven't identified them. Or ppb traces of sakharovium in the atmosphere are vital and we ignore it. Neither can we exclude unwanted species in the bubble.

Though, I consider humans should experiment again and again with biospheres, because it's one half-solid proof that we understand biological cycles. If a theory claims to explain nature, it's not very convincing. If it predicts an experiment outcome, far more so.

The other difficulty of ecosystems is the timescale. Our experiments lasted for 1 or 2 years, but an ecosystem must work over many generations. Alone the genetic pool requires half a thousand individuals for species that need a male and a female to breed in order to limit the degeneracy and maintain some ability to adapt. This is not the same game as growing wheat under a bubble to feed astronauts.

Could it be that the physical conditions for life are rather broad but that an initial biologic pool capable to maintain itself is much harder? Not having seen any single other working biosphere than Earth up to now, neither natural nor man-made, this kind of questions is more philosophy than science.