Density

tony8894

Hello Everyone. I attend an online high school and this is one of my assignments. I do not know what I need to do in order to complete this. Any help would be much appreciated

Here is the Assessment

I'm a sinker. If I try to float motionless in a pool I soon find myself vertical with just the tip of my head at the water surface. It is very easy for me to sit on the bottom of the pool. Maybe that's why I don't like to swim much. How about you? Do you sink like me or are you a floater? How would it be different if you were in alcohol, or vegetable oil, or glycerine, or sea water? Density is the key to your answers. Your answers must include:

• the densities of the 4 liquids involved (you will have to use your own resources for this),
  • an approximation of your density (based on your floatability) expressed in relation to that of water,
  • and if your answers would be different if you were doing this in a habitat on the moon.

Ok now here is an important sentence: If I try to float motionless in a pool I soon find myself vertical with just the tip of my head at the water surface. <-- so this is still able to float somewhat, but not as much as an average person. What would this mean for the density of this person in regards to that of water. Will his density be lower, the same, or higher that that of water?

This all depends on the distribution of molecules, if the molecules are farther apart than water's then it will float, but this must be in proportion to it's weight and density. However all of this depends on how far away the molecules of the liquid are, too far and hardly anything will float. But this all must come after it's surface area, not enough and enough density and it will not float.

a0fbd32e6f55d77fc6fe8282f7735145.png

Yes his density is higher that that of normal water, but not too much as he is still able to float somewhat (think of air in his lungs that keep him afloat). So would a liquid need to have a higher, equal, or lower density that that of water to allow him to float comfortably?

!

Moderator Note

Note: a response was hidden; this is the HW help section. Let the OP answer the question(s). Don't answer it for him (or her, as the case may be).

If there is a point of discussion that comes up, please open a new thread for that discussion.

Why did I say the former, Sorry *Brainfart*

It seems I cannot remember how to do basic density calculations today, or haven't had enough coffee.....

Note: a response was hidden; this is the HW help section. Let the OP answer the question(s). Don't answer it for him (or her, as the case may be).

If there is a point of discussion that comes up, please open a new thread for that discussion.

After all to each his own.

Edited by TJ McCaustland