Router problems

Moontanman

How can i tell if my router is broadcasting wireless? In the last few days my Netflix box has failed to get a signal of and on but mostly off. My computer has a physical connection so I can't tell from that. All the proper lights are on the router.

I am puzzled, speed tests from ISP says I have a higher speed than I am paying for, imagine that but my wireless doesn't appear to be working.

Any way to test for a wireless signal?

What is model name?

The all wifi routers I was playing with had WAN, WLAN diodes, and 4+ diodes for 4 inputs/outputs. They should blink while transferring data.

Do you know how to log-in to your router through web browser? Did you ever do it?

Does wifi router appears in wireless neighborhood.. ?

What is model name?

The all wifi routers I was playing with had WAN, WLAN diodes, and 4+ diodes for 4 inputs/outputs. They should blink while transferring data.

Do you know how to log-in to your router through web browser? Did you ever do it?

RCA DSB776W is my net flix box number

NGV510 is my routers model #

I called a tech from my ISP, he seemed to think I had a problem with the net flicks box. He logged into my router, so he said.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.
The routers lights are all not on, in fact the wireless light comes and goes.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

The routers lights are all not on, in fact the wireless light comes and goes.

Do you have any other wireless devices you can check? For example, if you have a smart phone or wireless on your computer, when you turn on Wireless access on that device, you will see what wireless networks are in your 'neighborhood' that you could potentially connect to. If you see yours, which is the same one you connected to on Netflix, then your wireless is active.

You can test the wireless if you have a cellphone that supports wifi, a laptop or a tablet. If you know the name your router broadcasts, any of those devices should tell you if the wifi from the router is working. You can check the router settings by logging into the admin account on the router to make sure wifi shows as being set up and working. It normally wouldnt just stop, so it's likely the problem is with the netflix box.

wind3.jpg

http://dclibrary.org/services/wifi

(of course names appearing on the list will be different - it's your router wifi name that should be there, and you can configure in wifi router settings under what name it'll appear)

My wireless is security enabled but my computer has a physical connection so it doesn't use wifi

You can test the wireless if you have a cellphone that supports wifi, a laptop or a tablet. If you know the name your router broadcasts, any of those devices should tell you if the wifi from the router is working. You can check the router settings by logging into the admin account on the router to make sure wifi shows as being set up and working. It normally wouldnt just stop, so it's likely the problem is with the netflix box.

I have no other device that operates on wireless..

When you log-in to your wifi router settings panel, don't you have option to see who is connecting to your wifi in Diagnostics?

attachicon.giforiginal.png

Ok I have that screen up, what do I look for?

Are there other routers in the neighbourhood (like next door) on the same channel? What band are you using 2.4G or 5G (although faster, 5G has a shorter range)? Although and on the channel front, I believe some routers have the ability to locate and move to the least used channel.

For example, I've noticed when out and about, some areas Wi Fi access just seems very slow, and to all intense and purposes, locks up. And when I look at the spectrum I find all the local routers are using the same channel! A recipe for congestion, me thinks.

There's also the possibility of reflections occasioning multipath reception degrading the signal - you know, like the picture ghosting that could occur on the old analogue TVs.

Thanks guys for trying to help me, it turned out my media streaming box was bad, thank you to everyone for your suggestions, I know it's frustrating trying to talk to someone who doesn't understand so again thank you for taking the time..