Disney sued

fiveworlds

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/disney-sued-for-250-million-by-woman-claiming-frozen-is-stolen-from-her-life-story-9754862.html

Apparently Disney plagiarized off somebody. I'm sure they have probably never heard of this person in their lives.

If they've never heard of her, then how could they have plagiarized? From the sound of it, this will get tossed pretty quickly. AFAICT the only issue is whether it's cheaper to pay a few grand to make it go away or go to court and completely flatten it.

Plagiarism (or copyright infringement) isn't having vague similarities of ideas, or even more focused similarities of ideas. It's about actual copying of a work.

I don't think that it would even cost a few grand. Disney most likely has lawyers on retainer anyway, so the price wouldn't change. And any judge is going to throw out a plagiarism case based on "there are two sisters and at some point they pass through an archway" immediately.

I don't think that it would even cost a few grand. Disney most likely has lawyers on retainer anyway, so the price wouldn't change. And any judge is going to throw out a plagiarism case based on "there are two sisters and at some point they pass through an archway" immediately.

We thought that when a woman sued McDonald's for spilled coffee.

That's not plagiarism, and the details of that suit are different than is commonly reported. Not really comparable at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald's_Restaurants

http://www.stellaawards.com/stella.html

I was going to say, the coffee in that case was abnormally hot and the woman suffered third degree burns requiring hospitalization. Contrary to popular media sensationalization, McDonald's, in that particular case was partially responsible for an accident which had significant repercussions for the plaintiff - it wasn't an "oops, I spilled my coffee and experienced mild discomfort - give me millions of dollars" type incident, although it inspired plenty of those.

Edited by Arete

What Disney did was NOT plagiarism, Lmao.

Plagiarism is the exact copying of ones work, not the sharing or doing something similar to ones idea/work.

If I wrote a book about a user here, or made a movie about their life, that would not be plagiarism now, would it? :P

x3