IUPAC naming help

aoarias

Ok so I am reviewing for an exam and I got stumped on this compound. I cant figure out how to name with multiple OH branched off but my guess was 5-methol-7-methyl-2-butanol. Ignore that circle around that carbon I drew this online to show the problem.

xggubl.jpg

Edited by aoarias

I am a completely novice at this - so do not take this seriously - but I count a lot more carbons in main chain than four

I count an eight chain alcohol (7-octanol) - with two other groups at the 2,4 . one a methyl the other seems to be more like an ethanol

The depths of memory lead me to the fact that you always number such that the number is the lowest possible.

Take the longest chain, number so that it is lowest, name the groups...

But I am getting to the end of my knowledge - help HyperV

Propyle and methol are not part of IUPAC naming conventions. When you have an alcohol substituents coming off your parent chain like that, it is written as n-hydroxyalkyl (5-hydroxymethyl in this case).

Edit: if the chain were bigger, you would also specify the position of the hydroxy group and put the name in brackets. For example, 5-(2-hydroxyethyl)-1-octanol.

thanks Hyper - that would allow me to make a fairly confident stab at the answer. I couldn't find how to name the alcohol substituent - mainly because I didnt know the word substituent and was searching on "alcohol hanging off main chain +IUPAC" which didnt get me good results

No results found for propyle site:www.chem.qmul.ac.uk/iupac/

No results found for methol site:www.chem.qmul.ac.uk/iupac/

This search form looks at IUPAC recommendations with a URL starting http://www.chem.qmul.ac.uk/iupac/ It excludes biochemical recommendations on enzymes, enzyme kinetics, biochemical thermodynamics, and recommendations made by IUBMB only.

-----

citations are just like london buses - you wait all morning for one to come along and suddenly two come around the corner

I think that it's you who needs the citations. But here, go nuts: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IUPAC_nomenclature_of_organic_chemistry

Behave yourself please. The aim of forums isn't arguing just for the sake of arguing. We have to make the most of our time here to reach to a vaster area of knowledge and wisdom.

Asking for a citation isn't against the state law, is it?

Behave yourself please. The aim of forums isn't arguing just for the sake of arguing. We have to make the most of our time here to reach to a vaster area of knowledge and wisdom.

Asking for a citation isn't against the state law, is it?

8 posts and you're in a position to reprimand?

The use of the phrase "citations please" after a a simply checked statement of fact would be interpreted by most experienced forum/newsgroup members as "arguing just for the sake of arguing". If you need clarification of another members post - perhaps you might be better advised to ask in a non-confrontational manner "How can we find out what's is/isn't used in IUPAC" or "What reference should I use for IUPAC" ; both would be eminently friendlier.

The phrase "citations needed" is not a plain request for further information - it reads as a statement describing a post or comment as lacking suitable references. In forums/newsgroups and the internet in general the phrase is used to stop outlandish and unsustainable claims from being made and cast wholesale doubt on all that is being said.

8 posts and you're in a position to reprimand?

;)

Does truth have a frequency? You could ban me if I'm violating your laws.

Anyway, although my first answer is correct, as it's not accepted by IUPAC laws(I read the Wiki page), I recant it. Pardon me.

And as for the case of HyperV, sorry, no intention to abuse/disrespect by writing "citation needed". just wanted to know a little more, which I solemnly believe I reached my intention.

Have fun!

Edited by Hendrick Laursen