Malware Warnings

Dave

Incidentally, I was just viewing this thread within the last 30 minutes. Afterwater, I entered the URL for scienceforums.net, and I saw the scienceforums front page before being redirected to this:

It literally happened 40 seconds ago.

edit: I am on public wifi, so it might not even be your site.

edit: I was not logged in.

Edited by MonDie

Incidentally, I was just viewing this thread within the last 30 minutes. Afterwater, I entered the URL for scienceforums.net, and I saw the scienceforums front page before being redirected to this:

It literally happened 40 seconds ago.

edit: I am on public wifi, so it might not even be your site.

edit: I was not logged in.

Anyone up for going and asking Dave nicely to IPS4 a little early? And or finding out where these redirects are coming from via IP tracing?

We'll schedule the IPS4 upgrade before the end of the month - our test install ran pretty well, so we can go ahead once we get a free block of time. In terms of the problem above, I am not convinced it's us that caused the redirect. The offending code is not currently present, as far as we can tell, so I would be more inclined to think it was the public wifi.

I don't think this site is dangerous, but anyone with concerns should know about Ubuntu Live. Ubuntu and other Debian/Linux-based operating systems will run off a flashdrive, preferably USB 3.0 for speed. It should be quite easy since putting it onto the flashdrive is actually the first step to installing it. When booted from the flashdrive the operating system is read-only (unless you make it "persistent"), so no security threats should persist on the system unless they infect the flashdrive's firmware (highly unlikely). In fact you don't even need a working harddrive, and the only reason to use an adblocker would be to compensate for low bandwidth on a slow connection. If you can get Lubuntu on a falshdrive, it is designed to run on old computers with out-of-date hardware and limited RAM, which could make your primary system even more untouchable.

P.S. Installing programs is a little more complicated in Live since you need to edit the sources file.

Edited by MonDie

We'll schedule the IPS4 upgrade before the end of the month - our test install ran pretty well, so we can go ahead once we get a free block of time. In terms of the problem above, I am not convinced it's us that caused the redirect. The offending code is not currently present, as far as we can tell, so I would be more inclined to think it was the public wifi.

Thanks Dave :)