Optimising my box...

d22k

I have 1.5 gig of ram in my box, and wanna make the most of it, if i were to create a 'ram disk' and move my pagefile (C:\windows\pagefile.sys) onto the ramdisk, would i see any significant increase in speed?

also, whatother temp folders/files would i be able to put on it?

and do i risk harming my comp? cos the contents gets erased everytime i power off....

thnx.

d22k

I don't know if you can move the pagefile like that, parts of your OS will be programmed to write to C:\windows\pagefile.sys in certain circumstances, if there was no file it could cause critical errors.

How could you create a 'RAM disk' ???

Erasing the pagefile every time you boot-up/down could cause problems, your OS is programmed to write to a specific file, currently at C:\windows\pagefile.sys if you could move it your OS will not be programmed to create the file every boot-up.

If this was possible you'd need to make sure your computer knew where the pagefile was and how to make a new one, even then when your computer initially boots-up there will be no pagefile which could causes system errors.

why would you want to do that? do you know what your pagefile does?

moving temp files to ram(where they get erased each time) might actually result in worse performance as some of them are there because they will be used again, so the computer doesnt have to put them back each time.

Also remember that pagefile data goes through the RAM, it's just a place for the RAM to store extra data that it cannot fit onto the RAM itself.

With 1.5GB of RAM you will probably use a pagefile quite rarely.

Also remember that pagefile data goes through the RAM' date=' it's just a place for the RAM to store extra data that it cannot fit onto the RAM itself.

With 1.5GB of RAM you will probably use a pagefile quite rarely.[/quote']

exactly, which is why i was wondering why someone would want to do this. pagefile is for when ram runs out of space... why would you put it on ram? O.o

I used that program that sayo mentioned but everything was in 1 fragment and it couldn't do much... if anyone has really fragmented files tell me if this does much?

(Just looking now, all are 1 fragment with one exception which has 6 fragments)

ok, yes i know what a page file is, and i know what it does. But a page file doesnt JUST keep what the OS cant fit in ram, it holds all sorts of other bits and bobs too.

The ram disk can be created in tweak xp, so can moving the page file.

While this may not create much of a gain on a *nix based system, windows based machine use the pagefile very oddly, and its written to more than you think.

I dont THINK that having it erased would cause a problem ,as there is allready an option to clear the swap file on shutdown, mostly for network security i imagine.

what other cache folders are kicking about?

yeah... i dont know if i really buy that.

considering that you can actually disable the pagefile if you have enough ram i dont really believe that windows uses it for anything other than freeing up ram. if you can give me examples or maybe a credible source ill buy it, but everything i can find says "extra space".

wjile you CAN disable the pagefile in windows, XP being the bollocks that it is, doesnt like it, and tends to spit the dummy, ive tried it.

didnt get anything out of it.

as for a credible source, my source is my college tutor, so short of scanning in some worksheets, i got nothin for ya :\

wjile you CAN disable the pagefile in windows' date=' XP being the bollocks that it is, doesnt like it, and tends to spit the dummy, ive tried it.

didnt get anything out of it.

as for a credible source, my source is my college tutor, so short of scanning in some worksheets, i got nothin for ya :\[/quote']

interesting... /chinstroke

strange that its the system running on 90% of the worlds computers...

Not so. The bulk of the people in the world seem to prefer a computer operating system that treats them like idiots. In other words, Windows assumes that the user has zero knowledge of computer use, and offers simplicity of use in return for power, security, control, and so on.

Don't forget most of the computer users don't give a damn about how the PC works, they just want it to help them produce whatever they are doing. They already know Windows, it meets their needs, so why would they switch?

Anyway, back to swap files - IMO it will reduce the performance. Why not give it a go and post the results here?

... worst thing that can happen is that you will need to reinstal windows which can be done without a format anyway.

(I suppose you could overheat the RAM but its very unlikely, with that much RAM the pagefile willl soooo rarely be used)

Tell us what happens.