Are computers replacing too many things?

Maverick_Bird

I was just thinking about how high technology is changing certain aspects of life, such as education. A lot of things have been replaced, such as paper notebooks. The simple fact that I have to use the word 'paper' (I don't know what else to call them) to indicate that I mean 'notebooks notebooks' and not portable computers, says something about the present. When you search for 'notebook' on Google, you'll get instant results of portable computers, but not any results for paper notebooks that top the page. Of course I understand why, but that's not my point here.

There are people who call me a nostalgic person because I prefer certain ways of the past centuries over certain ways of the present, including the use of pen and paper, while they wouldn't care about completely switching over to computers. There's something about writing with a pen on paper that seems to be more 'proper' for human beings than typing on a keyboard. That's just my opinion. I mean, nowadays, you have to combine writing on paper with writing on computers, while computers are taking over. To me, it's an annoying combination. I want the one over the other when it comes to certain things, but will that way of thinking be considered alright after a few years? Or am I thinking too deeply about this and the one who's wrong?

I mean, for instance, will it be considered normal to be a computer scientist who keeps a paper notebook with him all the time in, let's say, 2030? Or will he be considered 'nostalgic' as well just because of that?

And what about education: will it be considered normal to study by means of pen and paper out of physical books (if they would still exist LOL) in 2030?

Or are those things that will never fade away? By the way, if you're gonna say, ''I don't think that such things will fade away 'completely'.'', I consider that faded away; it's over. Period.

If it's faded away a little, it'll be faded away completely eventually. Otherwise, it wouldn't start growing silent, right?

Something to think about, is it not? You tell me.

Edited by Maverick_Bird

I was just thinking about how high technology is changing certain aspects of life, ...

Get over it. Nothing is certain but change and at every technological change there have been no end of whiners harking back to the-good-ol'-days and harping on how the new must certainly lead us unerringly to our doom.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be. ~ Peter De Vries

I was just thinking about how high technology is changing certain aspects of life, such as education. A lot of things have been replaced, such as paper notebooks. The simple fact that I have to use the word 'paper' (I don't know what else to call them) to indicate that I mean 'notebooks notebooks' and not portable computers, says something about the present. When you search for 'notebook' on Google, you'll get instant results of portable computers, but not any results for paper notebooks that top the page. Of course I understand why, but that's not my point here.

There are people who call me a nostalgic person because I prefer certain ways of the past centuries over certain ways of the present, including the use of pen and paper, while they wouldn't care about completely switching over to computers. There's something about writing with a pen on paper that seems to be more 'proper' for human beings than typing on a keyboard. That's just my opinion. I mean, nowadays, you have to combine writing on paper with writing on computers, while computers are taking over. To me, it's an annoying combination. I want the one over the other when it comes to certain things, but will that way of thinking be considered alright after a few years? Or am I thinking too deeply about this and the one who's wrong?

I mean, for instance, will it be considered normal to be a computer scientist who keeps a paper notebook with him all the time in, let's say, 2030? Or will he be considered 'nostalgic' as well just because of that?

And what about education: will it be considered normal to study by means of pen and paper out of physical books (if they would still exist LOL) in 2030?

Or are those things that will never fade away? By the way, if you're gonna say, ''I don't think that such things will fade away 'completely'.'', I consider that faded away; it's over. Period.

If it's faded away a little, it'll be faded away completely eventually. Otherwise, it wouldn't start growing silent, right?

Horses have faded away as a means of transport, therefore no one rides horses anymore.

Just because something gets replaced in areas it used to dominate does not mean that it is definitely going to disappear completely. That happens to some things, sure, but not everything.

Paper and pen still maintain a few advantages over digital devices in certain situations, and at the very least, the lack of need of batteries is one that will probably never be eliminated completely.

I can see the use of pen and paper continuing to dwindle, but I just don't see it disappearing completely. Definitely not anytime soon. If that's not enough to keep you happy, well, *shrug*

That a person can read also means they can write, albeit not necessarily very well unless we practice writing. Keyboards will probably be replaced by voice input. However, writing will continue to be an output method for the foreseeable future.

Because printers are rather large and not portable, I still write notes from time to time; although, my computer is usually handy. It's just easier to write a note sometimes, rather than key it in and print it. And, I think this trend will continue, since a printer with paper will probably continue to be rather heavy and not very portable.

I realize your complaint uses writing as an example. Computers will displace some things, because they are better; however, some things computers do will not be completely replaced.

Part of the resistance to new technology is having to figure out how it improves our lives. There are always going to be instances where old technology performs just as well if not better than the new, but overall the new tech is usually superior.

Our confirmation bias latches onto those instances and tells us that the old tech is still viable. As others have mentioned, there are always holdouts when it comes to technology. These people might prefer vinyl records to CDs for a few specific reasons, and consider those reasons more important than all the rest of the advantages CDs offer. Back when TVs and radios all had gas vacuum tubes in them, the move to solid state electronics was opposed by many. The quality of reception wasn't as good, which made many question why the shift was being made. But reception quickly grew better, and the solid state platform allowed TVs and radios to be made much smaller and with more features. There's a limit to how small you can make a vacuum tube.

I still use pen and paper for notetaking sometimes. I have a voice recorder on my phone, and I use that for notes when I'm in the field. If I'm taking notes about plans I'm making, I use pen and paper because I think better when writing or typing as opposed to talking into a recorder. Does that make sense? I collaborate better with others verbally, but when I'm just thinking on my own, writing or typing is a better way for me to formulate my ideas.

I think this is just a matter of examining motives more closely. If you're an audiophile who gets enjoyment from music ONLY if it's a true representation of the way the artist recorded it, then buy vinyl and enjoy it. If you love music and want to listen to it anywhere/anytime, digital is probably a better medium. If you have an old 75 watt incandescent light bulb in a closet you turn on for a total of 10 minutes a month, you probably don't need to replace it with an LED, but you really should if that light is on 10 hours a month. And yes, I think there are plenty of reasons why pen and paper will still be around for a long time. You can hardly argue that computers aren't an awesome way to develop the written word. It may seem annoying to have both digital and analog writing, but both have their applications and both have strengths and weaknesses within those applications.

Use what works best in context, I guess.

Periodically when my son is out and about, I ask him to stop by the store to pick up a few things for me. Instead of texting him the list of items I need, I write it all down on a piece of paper, then take a picture of the paper and send the picture to him. Drives him nuts. So even though I use the technology, I integrate it with pen and paper.

Periodically when my son is out and about, I ask him to stop by the store to pick up a few things for me. Instead of texting him the list of items I need, I write it all down on a piece of paper, then take a picture of the paper and send the picture to him. Drives him nuts. So even though I use the technology, I integrate it with pen and paper.

I love that! Perfect blend, gets the job done quickly.

I used to do it that way (when it comes to texting, I'm all thumbs), until I discovered voice recording for texts. It's quicker because I don't have to slow my writing down to make it legible.

There's another plus for computers: consistency. Nobody has to decipher my handwriting along with everyone else's.

Why are virtually all exams (still) on paper in this day and age?

Probably for the same transparency reasons most people want a paper trail from voting machines. Electronic deception is easier to get away with, in some cases. This may be one of them.

You all have excellent points.

I have an interesting question:

Why are virtually all exams (still) on paper in this day and age?

Danke. :)

That 'virtually all' is ill-defined aside, many exams are not on paper. For example, the FAA has been giving computer-based pilots' tests for at least a decade. So too nursing exams. (I used to administer these exams, so I speak from personal experience.)

As to the general idea of computers doing things pencil & paper could do, there is the matter of time. It would have taken a hundred lifetimes and several forests to make & record the research calculations that my computer has done in a few months. What do you think Fermat or Euler would have given for even a Commodore 64? :wub: