Epigenetics and memory inheritance

Ten oz

Studies have indicated that experience may possibly be passed to offspring.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-25156510 (link to study in the article)

Considering that not all genes received from parents are expressed could we unknowingly carry generations worth of family memories in our DNA? Might the day come when we can directly read experiences stored in DNA? Learn things about the thoughts of historical figures through DNA in their great grandchildren?

Ten oz, on 01 Sept 2014 - 10:25 PM, said:Ten oz, on 01 Sept 2014 - 10:25 PM, said:

Studies have indicated that experience may possibly be passed to offspring.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-25156510 (link to study in the article)

Considering that not all genes received from parents are expressed could we unknowingly carry generations worth of family memories in our DNA? Might the day come when we can directly read experiences stored in DNA? Learn things about the thoughts of historical figures through DNA in their great grandchildren?

At best, the 'memories' passed on will be coarse simple ones like smell aversion given as an example. I can't see how complex abstract thoughts can be passed on; the molecular configurations necessary to store a lifetime's worth of experiential information in the genetic code would be be much more than the DNA/RNA apparatus could cope with. I'm no geneticist but that's how it looks to me. Memories are actual molecules arranged/ordered in a certain way and that means taking up physical space.

Edited by StringJunky

@ Stringjunky, I don't think concious thoughts exist to be read. The form of the memories are emotional triggers. However humans experience a wider range of emotions and impressions than mice. As suh what we pass down, if we pass anything, would probably be more complex. My question is just a passing thought about ways to research the past. By viewing triggers, emotions, impressions, and etc pass down in our DNA what can we learn about those who passed the genes?

@Ten oz. OK. Thanks for the clarification. I suppose looking into these triggers we might learn what we like/fear but would we be able to find out when they occurred?

Good question. I don't know the answer. I assume which side of the family could be identified. Above and beyond that I am not sure.