Why does thinking of breathing urge you to breathe more?

MirceaKitsune

I noticed something funny a while ago. I'm not sure if it happens to everyone, but it's certainly an easy experiment anyone can preform on their self at any given moment. I'm curious if the reasons why it happens are known, and how this is related to how the brain works and evolved.

When I'm not doing any physical effort and I'm not in a state of emotional distress, I tend to breathe rather slowly and rarely. However, if I ever think about my breathing or try to monitor it, I immediately feel like I'm suffocating, and need to take a deep breath. It's not just a simple tendency either... I have to breathe more at that moment, otherwise I feel deprived of oxygen.

Why does thinking about your breathing instantly make you need to breathe more, and how does this work? Does it happen to everyone also, or might it be related to certain conditions?

I know what you mean. I have had similar feelings but I think you will find that the reason your mind starts thinking about breathing is because you have slowed your breathing down to a level where you are not getting sufficient oxygen. Then once you start thinking about it you become consciously aware of the fact that your system requires more so your pace of breathing increases. You should try yoga or meditation to learn about breathing techniques.

Mastering your breathing can be quite interesting for certain things. I only have a basic knowledge of breathing techniques but there are certain circumstances where they come in very useful. For example, if you are out on a night when it is chilly and you aren't dressed warmly enough, think about your breathing. I have found that if I'm cold then I focus on taking very long, slow and deep breaths. Within about 30 seconds to a minute I find that I feel warmer. Not sure if it is a figment of my imagination that I am convincing myself that I am warmer or if I am actually getting warmer but it works for me all the same.