Does Extra-cocurricular Activities Play Important Role in Science University Enrollment

Nicholas Kang

30 years ago is much different from today, for sure, you don`t have modern internet that change our living landscape 30 years ago. Today`s world is highly competitive. To distinguish yourself from the others, assume that others are excel in their academics, I think universities would rely on your extra curricular activities performance to determine your position when deciding on your scholarships and your ability to enter the university itself.

A few years ago I went to the college's celebration of its 500 th anniversary.

It hadn't changed that much in 30 years.

The world of Oxford entrance was very competitive then.

The way to distinguish yourself was to be a better academic than the other candidates.

There are cutting edge universities, they would have no difficulty asking questions that no candidate could expect to answer.

They ask slightly less difficult questions, and very few of the would-be entrants can answer the questions.

That's who they let in.

• 2 weeks later...

A few years ago I went to the college's celebration of its 500 th anniversary.

It hadn't changed that much in 30 years.

John, I have to be very straightforward here. Forgive me if this hurts you. Now, I consider myself to be fortunate to meet a Oxford post-graduate student. You say it hadn`t changed that much in 30 years. Now, you see John, Had you ask the people(specifically the department responsible for oversea students intake) about the condition(s)? Or you simply chat with your old friends and Bob`s your uncle. Only the people responsible for the enrollment and intake know well, and far better than post-graduates. So, John, I don`t have ulterior meaning(s), I just have to double confirm with you. Post-graduates usually leave their universities, but administrative board continue to retain in their universities. So, do you mind help me to further confirm and verify your statement?

The world of Oxford entrance was very competitive then.

Of course, no objections.

The way to distinguish yourself was to be a better academic than the other candidates.

Well, for the top universities they can be a way of helping them sort out who to give offers to when all else is equal. And by equal we mean A+++ scores.

John`s point of view seems to contradict ajb`s.

There are cutting edge universities, they would have no difficulty asking questions that no candidate could expect to answer.

They ask slightly less difficult questions, and very few of the would-be entrants can answer the questions.

That's who they let in.

Questions like...? (I mean examples of questions-maybe I would go for Physics, so please list out some) Thanks.

John`s point of view seems to contradict ajb`s.

I don't think we are in contradiction as rather we have complimentary statements.

For sure you will need fantastic grades and that will give you a shot. From there if needed the Universities will try to find anything else to distinguish students. This may include extra curricula activities, but also they may look closely at other parts of your application like the personal statement. For UK students there will be an interview. I am not sure how this works for international students. Anyway, that will be another way of distinguishing students.

But be under no illusion, the grades will be the most important thing and what they will primarily look at.

Also I did go for an interview there and that gave them a chance to find out what sort of person I was as, well as things like how well I could think when they asked questions to which I didn't know the answers.

Oxbridge (what we call Oxford or Cambridge) have long had a policy of interview to separate apparently academically equal candidates.

They have also always reserved the right to accept candidates that do well in their interviews, regardless of High School grades.

But they do ask some very searching questions at those interviews to test the candidates ability to survive the Oxbridge system.

Examples of searching questions?

Question 1)

Do University Professors prefer the use of the words Please and Thank You, or their equivalent?

Question 2)

In a knockout tennis tournement there are n contestants. How many matches need to be played to determine the winner?

Edited by studiot

I) "I would imagine that most reasonable people would prefer the words Please and Thank You. May I ask, are you reasonable people?"

2) "(n-1), unless there is a withdrawal due to injury or other cause."

Please, do I get a place? Thank you.