About linux drivers....

albertlee

I have a simple question, I have a wireless usb device, and the brand never designs a driver for it, but why it can still work under Linux os??

Is there something that Linux can actually "detect" the hardware and make a configuration for it??

Albert

^Please stop. You obviously know nothing about linux and are only detracting from the thread.

Albert, can you describe the device more? What do you mean by wireless? Like, is it a NIC for your wireless internet? Also, what is the name/brand of the device?

One quick answer might be that some developer wrote a driver for it, which has been automatically included in your kernel.

It is a sitecom wireless PCMCIA card....

I know somewhere in the Mandrake website, where people report on whether Mandrake is compatible with their hardware, but since Mandrake knows what they actually "attach" to their kernel, what's the point of testing other hardware?? isn't it sensible that others will be incompatible??

Albert

I've ran into USB problems before; I'm confident we can get this working for you.

As root, do this

tail -f /var/log/messages

Plug in your USB device and post the output.

I dont use mandrake, but assuming the same kernel us sued, most of the time anythign that is "proven conpatible" on any distro will work on most of the other ones.

Generally people are too lazy to say "I got this working, and this is how" because just about everything that works on windows will work on Linux. The only exception is something liek the iAudio where there is a specific *application* that talks with the software/hardware ON the USB device. Most people dont do that. Take out your manual and see if it requires extra software to work. If it just says like "Install driver" then you're good on linux. And if it has extra software, but that is not required, you're good again.

Even so, there are a couple open soruce projects that make "devices like the iAudio" compatible.