Really big text file

herme3

Does anyone know how to quickly open a huge .txt file? A text file that is over 100 GB?
I have to open and read text files larger than 10 zigabytes on a daily basis.

Do you want to open the entire file at once? If so, double click it. That is the fastest way that I know in Windows OS. Right clicking is slower.

If you want to read only a part of the file, write a program using your favorite language to display a small portion of the file.

It is a really big number I had the computer calculate. The computer saved it in a text file. The file is over 100 GB and I only have 1 GB of RAM. It is too big for Notepad or Word. When I double click on it, it tries to open it in Notepad, then it displays an error message. Does anyone know how to open it?

You have a number in a text file that is so big it takes up over 100 GB of hard drive? What are you going to do with this number? Are you going to use it for more calculations or are you just curious to see what the answer turned out to be?

You have a number in a text file that is so big it takes up over 100 GB of hard drive? What are you going to do with this number? Are you going to use it for more calculations or are you just curious to see what the answer turned out to be?

I just ran the equation 1+1 one trillion times. Then I grouped it all together as one number. For example, it goes 12345678910111213141516 and it keeps going for a very long time. The computer is still calculating it. I think I will run out of hard drive space before it gets to a trillion. Now, I have no way to open it! What about virtual RAM?

I just ran the equation 1+1 one trillion times. Then I grouped it all together as one number. For example, it goes 12345678910111213141516 and it keeps going for a very long time. The computer is still calculating it. I think I will run out of hard drive space before it gets to a trillion. Now, I have no way to open it!
Why not rerun it, and save every 10,000 or so to a different file.

I just ran the equation 1+1 one trillion times. Then I grouped it all together as one number. For example, it goes 12345678910111213141516 and it keeps going for a very long time. The computer is still calculating it. I think I will run out of hard drive space before it gets to a trillion. Now, I have no way to open it! What about virtual RAM?

Why bother?

If you made the program automatically put it in seperate text files instead of the same one each time (like have it do a new one every ten minutes), and then print them out seperately, that would work.

I don't see why you couldn't open this using your swap space.

The problem is the size of the windows page file... it needs to have a larger limit.

I would prefer to do it in linux. You can create a swap partition of whatever size you need, and the text editors are better. Plus, the program will probably run quicker.

you could convert it to a .html file by renaming it but i don't know how that would work with the <html> tags and the <body> etc as you couldn't edit 'view source' because that runs in notepad (by default, for windows)

when i had a file that was too big for notepad it opened in wordpad (old computer) but if it doesnt open in word i dont think it'll open in wordpad.

If you consider the super computers of todays world, if you do beat a record anyone who has access to a supercomputer could outstrip your record quite quickly!

you could convert it to a .html file by renaming it but i don't know how that would work with the <html> tags and the <body> etc as you couldn't edit 'view source' because that runs in notepad (by default' date=' for windows)

[/quote']

It works, you do not need the tags, just the text by itself will work, I just tried... that's for IE, should work on FF too though.