Quantum Physics

shreyasshree

xyct posted this handy link on another thread there is a good coverage of QM on this site as well

http://www.feynmanlectures.info/

(its another Feyman site link to his online textbooks, click read on the left handside and you will see 3 textbooks one of them being QM)

unfortunately I don't have much in the way of QM material, however you can find some quantum field theory articles on my signature, though most of them are fairly advanced so you will probably need to check them out later on

Edited by Mordred

Hi Shreyasshree,

while QM is certainly fascinating, it's possible that you find it discouraging, or that your efforts are less rewarded than they deserve, in the case that you try to learn QM before having some background.

Depending on how easy you're already with this background, it would be a good idea to start with it, so that your time spent on QM (later if necessary) is more profitable and enjoyable.

Linear algebra (vector spaces, linear operations and all that goes with them). Fluent is needed.

Waves. Fluent as well. You may start with acoustics, go on with optics.

Signal processing is very helpful. Or antennas. Or possibly detailed knowledge of diffraction aspects in optics, but this uses to be less complete than signal processing.

Electromagnetism, at least some, would be useful.

Well, I suppose there are many different paths to learning QM. It takes years to get a somewhat clear picture of it, so you can perhaps begin with an incomplete background (...don't know what yours is) and add more elements of comprehension over time.

I'd suggest not to read the introductions for the general public - the ones that want the explain using analogies. These analogies simplify nothing, are confusing and misleading. Avoid as well the philosophical approaches of duality and the like, which bring only useless complexity. Don't waste time with historic introductions, because QM was long misunderstood, including by physics heroes, so don't learn their mistakes only to un-learn them. Go straight to the proper up-to-date formulation, with the maths.

Hi Shreyasshree,

while QM is certainly fascinating, it's possible that you find it discouraging, or that your efforts are less rewarded than they deserve, in the case that you try to learn QM before having some background.

Depending on how easy you're already with this background, it would be a good idea to start with it, so that your time spent on QM (later if necessary) is more profitable and enjoyable.

Linear algebra (vector spaces, linear operations and all that goes with them). Fluent is needed.

Waves. Fluent as well. You may start with acoustics, go on with optics.

Signal processing is very helpful. Or antennas. Or possibly detailed knowledge of diffraction aspects in optics, but this uses to be less complete than signal processing.

Electromagnetism, at least some, would be useful.

Well, I suppose there are many different paths to learning QM. It takes years to get a somewhat clear picture of it, so you can perhaps begin with an incomplete background (...don't know what yours is) and add more elements of comprehension over time.

I'd suggest not to read the introductions for the general public - the ones that want the explain using analogies. These analogies simplify nothing, are confusing and misleading. Avoid as well the philosophical approaches of duality and the like, which bring only useless complexity. Don't waste time with historic introductions, because QM was long misunderstood, including by physics heroes, so don't learn their mistakes only to un-learn them. Go straight to the proper up-to-date formulation, with the maths.

So basically, I have to finish my high school science first? Or can I just learn waves, optics and EM and start off ?

waves,EM and linear algebra would be a good way to start, QM mathematics can get very complex rather quickly, so you will want a solid understanding of these subjects first before getting into QM. The Feyman lectures page has some good material on these subjects as well.

What you begin with depends on the kind of understanding you seek, but the introductions to QM that avoid maths tend to be very misleading and much more complicated than they should.

So yes, if you don't have yet the background for linear algebra and waves, I suggest to begin with them. They're already significant chunks of knowledge, are useful by themselves, and are interesting per se. Whether you should learn alone or through high school science course is a matter of taste.

Acoustics doesn't apply to general QM (just to phonons) but it's a simple wave, simpler than electromagnetics. Propagation guided by a cable would be even simpler.

Some "experiment kits" (websearch keywords) exist for radio, for optics and for electromagnetics, they're often excellent - I haven't seen any for acoustics nor QM. They give an insight that differs from books and is often more useable. The are an excellent basis to a future course, and they're fun.