What is the speed of light in the reference frame of the photon?

pavelcherepan

Assume the Earth is not moving, the Solar System is revolving around the Milky Way. Assume that the Solar System isn`t moving, the Milky Way galaxy is heading towards Andromeda M31 at 110km/second. Assume that galaxies, clusters and superclusters aren`t moving, but then space is expanding, thus eternal question.

Assume the ridiculous, you get ridiculous conclusions. It is a process called GiGo.

Assume that galaxies, clusters and superclusters aren`t moving, but then space is expanding, thus eternal question.

What is the "eternal question"?

Edited by xyzt

How can we know this is how nature behaves?

By observing, forming a hypothesis, developing experiments to test (attempt to disprove) the hypothesis, observing the results, getting others to check and test the hypothesis, and so on.

If after all that, we haven't shown the hypothesis to be wrong, then we have a theory about how nature behaves. Until we find some new observation that contradicts the theory. Then we modify the theory or come up with a new hypothesis and start all over again.

By observing, forming a hypothesis, developing experiments to test (attempt to disprove) the hypothesis, observing the results, getting others to check and test the hypothesis, and so on.

If after all that, we haven't shown the hypothesis to be wrong, then we have a theory about how nature behaves. Until we find some new observation that contradicts the theory. Then we modify the theory or come up with a new hypothesis and start all over again.

First paragraph:

So, we observe nature, we form a hypothesis that shows that we speculate nature, developing experiments to test nature and to show how they behave, observe nature after we test it, getting others to check nature again to make sure nature behaves like that all the time and so on.

Second paragraph:

When can we found a true finite statement because if we knew nature and its behaviour then one theory should last forever but not new observations take over them and if so this means we still don`t understand nature. Yes, you are right, if something goes wrong, then we should start over again but how many times? Every time? How often? Theories emerge and being replaced, is it fair to those who learnt Newtonian dynamics and passed away before learning Einstein`s Theory of Relativity? They know gravity is a force, but Einstein simply tells you it is just a curvature of spacetime geometry. So, endless explanation and being replaced over and over again, so when would it stop or it won`t stop, maybe? Nature hides the secret forever and you won`t ever know it?

The hypothesis that the Earth is stationary was falsified by the evidence.

When you do experiment on Earth, you simply state that it is stationary because you and the lab isn`t moving, but Earth does. You use Maths to add in the earth rotation, but don`t forget that Solar Syatem (SS) is moving, and Milky Way and Local Cluster and space expansion too.

So, what is the "eternal question"?

The questions that elude and tantalize us and couldn`t be repeated on Earth, like the origin of the Universe and the end of the Universe.

When can we found a true finite statement because if we knew nature and its behaviour then one theory should last forever but not new observations take over them and if so this means we still don`t understand nature. Yes, you are right, if something goes wrong, then we should start over again but how many times? Every time? How often? Theories emerge and being replaced, is it fair to those who learnt Newtonian dynamics and passed away before learning Einstein`s Theory of Relativity? They know gravity is a force, but Einstein simply tells you it is just a curvature of spacetime geometry. So, endless explanation and being replaced over and over again, so when would it stop or it won`t stop, maybe? Nature hides the secret forever and you won`t ever know it?

I doubt we can ever have perfect knowledge so I assume science will always be looking for better explanations.

When you do experiment on Earth, you simply state that it is stationary because you and the lab isn`t moving, but Earth does.

And because the other motions are not relevant. If they are, then you take them into account. One reason that science (and engineering) works is because we can do "abstraction" - ignore irrelevant details.

I doubt we can ever have perfect knowledge so I assume science will always be looking for better explanations.

And because the other motions are not relevant. If they are, then you take them into account. One reason that science (and engineering) works is because we can do "abstraction" - ignore irrelevant details.

Never perfect knowledge, so this means we can`t reveal all of the secrets of Nature forever. So, we seek explanations, endless explanations and very unfair to those who passed away before knowing the emerging new theories, like those who study Classical Physics and were dead before Modern Physics emerge.

We are living on Earth, so how abstraction works, in detail please. To me, there is no absolute stationary, so, experiments if accurate, must be in stationary standard, this means the experiment must not be on a moving object, and a space that is expanding.

Edited by Nicholas Kang

We are living on Earth, so how abstraction works, in detail please. To me, there is no absolute stationary, so, experiments if accurate, must be in stationary standard, this means the experiment must not be on a moving object, and a space that is expanding.

Good luck with that.

So, that was my mistake. I will be a fake scientist and I won`t know why without an explanation. So, you are/might be/will be a real scientist and I will be a fake scientist, living on the edge of Science until one day I found a new theory and change the world, that was my dream but definitely seemed ridiculous to you because I am a fake scientist, so, fake dream.

So, that was my mistake. I will be a fake scientist and I won`t know why without an explanation. So, you are/might be/will be a real scientist and I will be a fake scientist, living on the edge of Science until one day I found a new theory and change the world, that was my dream but definitely seemed ridiculous to you because I am a fake scientist, so, fake dream.

You got it. Finally :)

Never perfect knowledge, so this means we can`t reveal all of the secrets of Nature forever. So, we seek explanations, endless explanations and very unfair to those who passed away before knowing the emerging new theories, like those who study Classical Physics and were dead before Modern Physics emerge.

I will probably not be around to see the next major paradigm shift in physics (#sadface). But maybe this is why some people prefer religion to science.

We are living on Earth, so how abstraction works, in detail please.

Abstraction means just looking at the information that is significant.

When performing experiments on Earth, you can usually ignore the rotation of the earth, or the presence of the moon or the sun. The effects of these are typically too small to be important. However, if they are large enough to be significant to your experiment, then you take them into account. But in that case, that the mass and motion of Andromeda is still insignificant.

Or maybe that is my problem.

So, that was my mistake. I will be a fake scientist and I won`t know why IF without an explanation. So, you are/might be/will be a real scientist and I will be a fake scientist, living on the edge of Science until one day I found a new theory and change the world, that was my dream but definitely seemed ridiculous to you because I am a fake scientist, so, fake dream.

Abstraction means just looking at the information that is significant.

When performing experiments on Earth, you can usually ignore the rotation of the earth, or the presence of the moon or the sun. The effects of these are typically too small to be important. However, if they are large enough to be significant to your experiment, then you take them into account. But in that case, that the mass and motion of Andromeda is still insignificant.

Statement understood

Edited by Nicholas Kang

So, that was my mistake. I will be a fake scientist and I won`t know why without an explanation.

I wouldn't worry too much. You have an active imagination, you like to ask questions but you are also willing to think about, and question, the answers.

To illustrate the above:

1. If you execute a Sagnac experiment, you cannot ignore Earth rotation because this is precisely the cause of the Sagnac effect.

2. If you execute an MMX experiment, you can IGNORE the Earth rotation because its effect on the MMX experiment is NULL.

I wouldn't worry too much. You have an active imagination, you like to ask questions but you are also willing to think about, and question, the answers.

You mean I will be a real scientist or a fake scientist?

To illustrate the above:

1. If you execute a Sagnac experiment, you cannot ignore Earth rotation because this is precisely the cause of the Sagnac effect.

2. If you execute an MMX experiment, you can IGNORE the Earth rotation because its effect on the MMX experiment is NULL.

I hope my earlier post didn`t hurt you. What are Sagnac and MMX?

Edited by Nicholas Kang

For the time being, you are not a scientist. You will need to go to school and study science first. Based on your posts, you have not done this yet.

The choice is yours! :)

But I think you have the potential to be a real scientist.

(xyzt, in case you missed Nicholas's earliest posts, he is still very young so you could cut him some slack... Also, I don't think English is his first language so he sometimes appears confused :))

I hope my earlier post didn`t hurt you. What are Sagnac and MMX?

No, it didn't hurt me. What wouldn't hurt you is getting some education. This is the path of becoming a scientist.