Examples of Conservative idealism success?

Ten oz

Considering the political structure within Israel where the electorate favors a specific heritage and all the population (born and tied to by heritage) within its borders do not the same rights and protections under law I would argue that Israel is an example of Conservatism. It is as close to a police state that currently exists in a non dictatorship. The merits of Israel's system and actions can be and are and often debated. However for the sake of this discussion I don't personally think Israel can be used as an example of conservative policy success. Israel's situation is far from ideal and in a perpetual turmoil. Who is to blame for that is not the topic of this thread.

• 11 months later...

Since the U.S. is in its election season and many political discussions are being had regarding conservative vs liberal policies I figured I'd bump this old thread. Where is the world can we see examples of successful conservative policies?

Well, apparently a lot of high ranking Republicans are not only withholding their support for D. Trump, But are actually backing H. Clinton.

That may end up being a successful policy.

Especially if she can work with both sides when ( or if ) she's elected.

Well, apparently a lot of high ranking Republicans are not only withholding their support for D. Trump, But are actually backing H. Clinton.

Withholding support for your party's nominee in favor of the opposing party's candidate is hardly a conservative move. It sounds pretty radical, actually.

Sometimes I think this is exactly how the GOP thinks, that whatever they dream up must be part of a conservative policy, simply because that's what they call themselves. "We're conservatives, so if we want to throw away tradition, jump ship, and swim with enemy, it must be a conservative move."

Unfortunately the more radical members of the republican party now drive the bus. The party encouraged radicalism assuming they could contain it. Starting with the tea party wave radicals have swelled within the republcans ranks for years. People who do not understand that republicans and conservative pundits weren't serious when they implied Obama was a secret muslim, the Gov't plans to go door to door taking everyones guns, hordes of immigrants are raping and killing white people on the border, and etc, etc, etc. The republican party lost control of their rhetoric. No way they will work with Hillary Clinton. If you recall in 08' people were saying the same sort of stuff about Obama. That because he didn't have baggage and a sour history with the GOP as Clinton did he'd be able to work with both sides. We saw how that turned out.

In my opinion it start to take a turn for the worse during the Iraq war push. That is when conservative pundits on cable news, talk radio, and etc all sort of came together is a daily collaboration with party leaders to really nail home talking points. It all went south though, the war was a huge mistake, cost trillions which contributed to the economic collaspe, and faith was lost on leadership broadly. Rather than breakig up the band they all just contiinued to collaberate, circling the drain on darker, more cynical, and worse ideas.

The RNC has a platform. Conservative votes support that platform. So the question in this thread is what are some examples of those policies being successful.

The RNC has a platform. Conservative votes support that platform. So the question in this thread is what are some examples of those policies being successful.

I do want to focus on success, but it's hard not to mention mistakes that hamper success. I think assuming the best conservative response is to block everything the other party wants is a big mistake. Many of those "liberals" vote to the right of Eisenhower. If the Republicans treat President H Clinton the way they treated President Obama, I think the whole world is going to rethink their dealings with the US.

Some scenarios can benefit best from the ultimate conservative tactic: do nothing. This helps prevent reaction by kneejerks.

Unfortunately, it looks like "stay the course" is the worst possible thing for us right now. We need many things to change for the better for the most people. Our current prosperity is being over-enjoyed by the top wealth-earners, to the detriment of those whose ever-increasing productivity is being siphoned away to fuel the overindulgence. Our banking and other business policies are lax to the point of criminal corruption. Our tax revenues need a fresh infusion to help us cope with infrastructure management. At a time when the US can lead by example, we seem to be devolving into whiny, intolerant old nationalists who've changed their minds about being the visionary, moon-landing, dream-catching superpower of Eisenhower and Kennedy.

To solve these problems, are there any conservative ideals that can help?

Good question. I don't know that any of their current ideas even attempt to help. The objective seems to be to win, not help. The slogan is "Make America Great" but the platform reads as a list of problems that basically solve themselves once the U.S. forfiets on commitments to all people or things that are not white evangelics or conservative owned. It is a housing cleaning rather than a house reburbishing approach. The sort of one dimensional thinking that underlies many comic book hero stories. If Batman can just beat up enough bad people Gotham will be a utopia.

While I cannot think of an example or circumstance where that appraoch is helpful I am hoping someone can.

While I cannot think of an example or circumstance where that appraoch is helpful I am hoping someone can.

Don't you think part of it is simply perspective? Why wouldn't a conservative think it's a good idea to keep bankers on their toes with sound regulations that don't allow any shenanigans? Why isn't it conservative to realize that private health insurance isn't a practical way to spend our money, given the way it works? Why isn't it conservative to be fiscally smart about the effectiveness of our resources?

Don't you think part of it is simply perspective? Why wouldn't a conservative think it's a good idea to keep bankers on their toes with sound regulations that don't allow any shenanigans? Why isn't it conservative to realize that private health insurance isn't a practical way to spend our money, given the way it works? Why isn't it conservative to be fiscally smart about the effectiveness of our resources?

I can answer all those questions from my own perspective but doubt many self proclaiming conservatives would agree. To that point I accept that I am not a good advocate for their views.

Because, if I may, conservatism is about extracting as much wealth from the system as one can while contributing as little wealth as one can to maintain the system. Conservatism, essentially, is about increasing and preserving one's personal wealth while thwarting any endeavor or agency that may impinge that effort. Bank regulations impinge a conservative's effort to increase his wealth and universal healthcare efforts impinge the wealth gained through privatization and the wealth of those who are called to fund a universal system. Under true conservatism, greed is good-charity is bad.

Edited by DrmDoc

I do want to focus on success, but it's hard not to mention mistakes that hamper success. I think assuming the best conservative response is to block everything the other party wants is a big mistake. Many of those "liberals" vote to the right of Eisenhower. If the Republicans treat President H Clinton the way they treated President Obama, I think the whole world is going to rethink their dealings with the US.

Some scenarios can benefit best from the ultimate conservative tactic: do nothing. This helps prevent reaction by kneejerks.

Unfortunately, it looks like "stay the course" is the worst possible thing for us right now. We need many things to change for the better for the most people. Our current prosperity is being over-enjoyed by the top wealth-earners, to the detriment of those whose ever-increasing productivity is being siphoned away to fuel the overindulgence. Our banking and other business policies are lax to the point of criminal corruption. Our tax revenues need a fresh infusion to help us cope with infrastructure management. At a time when the US can lead by example, we seem to be devolving into whiny, intolerant old nationalists who've changed their minds about being the visionary, moon-landing, dream-catching superpower of Eisenhower and Kennedy.

Much of this depends on the type of conservativism one is referring to. The OP was referring to trickle down economics, a proven failure. In its lite version, third way democrats are pushing the same failed policies, but at least the top 10% benefit, rather than just the top one percent. Clinton is in about the same economic space as Reagan was. Pro corporate trade deals, pro military industrial foreign policy, limited Wall Street regulation, pro fracking etc. They claim it's because if the global economy, which is a partial truth, but the global economy was created by these policies, rather than these policies being a response to globalization. The wealth is redistributed to the elite.

In this video, Thomas Frank discusses the third way ecomomic policies, and their failure for the majority of the population. The book is well with the read.

• 1 year later...

Since starting this thread a lot have change. Conservatism had a strong 2016 in part by wrapping itself in populism taking points. Tax cuts, regulation reductions, limiting immigration, complaints of weakening or manipulated currency, and etc all play roles in the U.S., UK, and French elections. Currently here in the U.S. our president is out pushing for major cuts and in France they just took a step backwards on worker rights. Both are being sold with populist language claiming it will create jobs. So I figured I bump this thread.

Are we seeing signs that these approaches will work and is populism and Conservatism compatible as advertised?