Does Humour Have a Place on SFN?

Science is a human endeavour (perhaps the modern incarnation of the quintessential need to explore) - and humour is so deeply rooted in our psyche to be unentangleable from any discussion our nature; surely the two must intersect

Disclaimer: I didn't read the entire thread. I just want to briefly respond to the opening question:

Does Humour Have a Place on SFN?

Yes. Of course it does. We all come here as volunteers seeking both information but also entertainment (information can of course be entertainment in itself). So, yes, please make jokes, as I like to be entertained.

That said, unfortunately, this is just another internet forum. That means that some people have an incredibly short fuse. They seem to think that in case of doubt, better make sure and sling some insults back at whoever wrote something to them. (To anyone who thinks this is new: Welcome to the internet).

While I place the blame of any derailed thread squarely with those people who deliberately escalate the thread, I would like to ask for a small favor to everyone else too: can you please doublecheck your posts to see if they can be understood as an insult? Sometimes it is better to spoil the joke, by writing (in a small font) that your remark was just a joke.

While I place the blame of any derailed thread squarely with those people who deliberately escalate the thread, I would like to ask for a small favor to everyone else too: can you please doublecheck your posts to see if they can be understood as an insult?

Great advice, you stupid freak. It's not always obvious.

Try not to use the word stupid, Mr, Phi for All. It hurts as you can refer to the post "Why Reputations? It hurts..." and there is a section about the usage of the word "stupid".

OK, now I really can't tell who is being ironic.

(for the record, no, I'm not kidding)

Try not to use the word stupid, Mr, Phi for All. It hurts as you can refer to the post "Why Reputations? It hurts..." and there is a section about the usage of the word "stupid".

Great advice, you freak. It's even less obvious than I thought.

;):P:)

No kidding,

In a thread titled, "Does Humor Have a Place on SFN"? Really?!

Dude.

This is an example of juxtaposed concepts matched for their absurdity. I actually borrowed part of it from a Weird Al Yankovic song. His lyric was about an astrological forecast: "Scorpio: Work a little harder on improving your low self-esteem, you stupid freak." See how matching the idea of improving self-esteem is juxtaposed to calling someone names, leaving you with a laughably absurd situation?

No? Tough crowd.

Kidding has a limit. Not exceeding the limit is ok but when harsh words like stupid, freak and dude are entering. Then things go wrong.

Lighten up, dude, life’s too short to be offended quite so easily.

Kidding has a limit. Not exceeding the limit is ok but when harsh words like stupid, freak and dude are entering. Then things go wrong.

Outside this thread, stupid and freak aren't appreciated without a LOT of smilies. I have no idea why you think "dude" is harsh (I use it sparingly for other reasons).

Ok, dude is not that rude and harsh. Anyway, don`t think of smiles all the time. It is not the problem of smiles, it is the problem of your altitude and expectation.

Humor is always a risk. What is funny to some is not funny to others. What is funny in one culture is not funny in others. Nonetheless, humor is common to all people and on the whole relieves more tension than it creates. No doubt you and your friends have jokes that your parents and teachers don't get or find rude. Humor is as humor does. :lol:

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road. ~ Henry Ward Beechersource

So, think of your situation and where you are before expressing your humour.

Humour is often seen as out of place at funerals. I hope to prepare a video for mine that will be full of humour. (All suggestions welcome.)

Humour is often seen as out of place at funerals. I hope to prepare a video for mine that will be full of humour. (All suggestions welcome.)

The video sounds outrageous and wonderful. The humour for this should be specific to your life and loved ones, not sure I can help much there. At the funeral, though....

Open casket? Your lapel flower should squirt water at anyone who leans over you.

Dignified black or blue suit coat, white shirt and school tie, big old red heart underwear and no pants.

The ultimate, of course, is to record yourself saying, "Whoa, this is really dark! OK, jokes over, let me out now. Helloooooo? Anybody out there? *knock knock* Hey! KIDDING! Can't you take a joke?!" Put a playback device in the casket so it starts playing after they shut the lid.