Does Humour Have a Place on SFN?

In a current thread a member made a lighthearted comment.

Another member took exception to it, since it did have a political slant, and asked the first member to keep "the political hogwash" out of the forum as it diluted the quality of the discussion.

I posted a suggestion that the member lighten up - a little humour is not out of place here.

I don't want to discuss that specific example - it's just what triggered this observation. I think occasional humour in the forum is a good thing. Now, am I right? Is it acceptable, occasionally to inject a pun, a quick, relevant joke, a witty observation, or should we stay objective and humourless at all times?

I'd rather have the odd out-of-place humour than no humour at all. Excessive formality would make the site stifling.

Mr. StringJunky, your pseudonym is very special. It is nice to meet you.

We do need some humour. As long as it is not irritating, that would be fine. What about if someone is always humour and can`t control himself/herself?

Edited by Nicholas Kang

A dose of humour and a modicum of off-topic banter are vital for community spirit (awful phrase but important concept). Staff will always try to keep a thread on topic - if the jokes become too pervasive or disrupt the flow of debate we will quite happily split them off or call for a moratorium. Using jokes to derail the topic deliberately or to cast an opponent in a ludicrous light might be more frowned upon in the science forums - these forms of argument could be seen as ad hominem or ab absurdo

There are quite a few of us - as you can see from this even this short thread both AJB and Ophiolite are resident experts (in physics and geology respectively); the resident experts and other senior members will nearly always report behaviour that falls short of our ideal. In fact we ask all members to report a post that contravenes our rules; but as we will always check reports we do ask that members do not abuse the reporting system

Edited by imatfaal
x-posted with Capn R

One might argue that a joke is off-topic, but as long as it doesn't hijack the thread, it's not going to be considered a problem.

Humor is almost always at someone's expense, so there's always the chance someone's nose will be tweaked, but as long as it's not too harsh there's no real harm Just don't cross into violating our rules against slurs (simply mocking someone is probably not acceptable humor) or get personal. Especially if it's directed at Phi for All. You can't imagine what he's capable of.

I think occasional humour in the forum is a good thing. Now, am I right? Is it acceptable, occasionally to inject a pun, a quick, relevant joke, a witty observation, or should we stay objective and humourless at all times?

This isn't peer review, it's discussion amongst humans, so of course you're right. We need a full range of expression to convey our meaning here, and humor (even the silly kind with the "u" from the UK), can be crucial to that process. There are places to go for black and white, humorless data. We're more about making observations on the data, and sometimes our insights are just funny.

I've always appreciated your humour over the years, Ophiolite. You have impeccable timing and a rapier wit. I've noticed that you more often resort (resourt) to humour than insults or derision when another member is misreading your words, and I think that's very wise as well. You're very patient until you're not any more, and then you use humour rather than getting cross. How can that not have value?

You are right. I am not any of them. So, quit.

With all do respect, do not tell me what to do. :)

Imagination was given to people to compensate them for what they are not; a sense of humor to console them for what they are. ~ Francis Bacon

source

Edited by Acme