(Sub)Urban Farming

ydoaPs

This year I chipped in and bought a food dehydrator to preserve some of the produce. From the garden so far I have done Cilantro, even though many sources said it loses its flavor. It did take 5 days to dry, but it was worth the effort as contrary to what I read it remains flavorful. Part of the trick [apparently] is to not break it up after drying until ready to use as the added surface area of the breakage speeds oxidation.

This week I'm trying Parsley. See image below. As soon as it's done I'm going to try Zucchini chips. The manual says wash, slice to 3/8", and dry until crispy for dip chips, but blanch before drying if I plan to reconstitute it for breads etcetera.

What's growing in your garden? :)

14604710434_bf23e623df_n.jpg

Great pictures Acme. Very hungry just looking. Dried Blueberries are great - you gotta do dried fruit

Thank you. :) I love to feed people. Today I finished the Parsley & got 6 trays of Zucchini chips going; see below. Also it was bread baking day and I did 1 loaf with fresh Basil. So far I have done loaves with Rosemary & Thyme. Cilanto bread? :o

The Blueberries sound great! Book says dip them in boiling water first to crack the skins before drying. The machine came with a solid tray liner for making fruit leather too. I have done 3 batches of Apple chips and they disappear in a hurry. Our Watermelon and Cantaloupe plants don't even have flowers yet so I may just try some from the market first. Book says they come out 'candy like'.

14616340945_e37cb4f684.jpg

Mmmmmm mmmmmmm! The Squash chips are great plain, with salsa, with cottage cheese, and I have to imagine with any dippy stuff. I particularly like the Yellow Squash chips.

Watermelon chips...scrumptious! As the book said, they are like candy. We were particularly surprised by how sweet they are.

Blueberries in the dryer this morn; just two trays worth as most is going to jam.

Squash Chips

14633618951_0c2de48961_n.jpg

Watermelon Chips

14634733004_898c4a352f_n.jpg

Bluberries

14636404492_c135ac5385_n.jpg

The Blueberries finished in the dehydrator and they came out tasty but variable. Some are crunchy and some chewy. Not sure if it's a difference in size, moisture content, sugar, or what. No matter.

Next into dehydrator today is Dill. No seeds yet so it will be leaves and flowers. The first Roma Tomato has ripened and the first Sunflower has gone to seed. I've grown Sunflowers before but never had any so tall as this year. I have several 10 footers! :-0

Will let pictures do the rest of the talking. :)

Dill

14619310141_0eee5e7983_n.jpg

Tomato Roma

14649985171_2512333f87_n.jpg

Sunflowers

14651262064_7da8afde2f_n.jpg

Squash Yellow

14630557036_1bd93787e8_n.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

The garden continues apace. Had some probs with aphids on the Brussels Sprouts but beat them back with soapy water in a spray bottle. Haven't seen any more in a week. We have a few Cabbage Moths but they haven't been many and the few we have do little damage.

Harvested one Sunflower head and dried the seeds in the dehydrator rather the my usual oven-drying. Came out delish! Also have done a small batch of tomatoes in dehydrator and more Blueberries. The Rasberries and Strawberries continue to produce as well as the Zucchinis, while the Yellow Squashes are about done and the Butternut Squashes not yet done. Dill seed will be ready soon, peas are done, and the Basil, Thyme, Tomatoes, Sunflowers, Cucumbers, Radish pods, and Parsley keep keeping on. (Prolly forgot something; please forgive. :lol: )

Here's a few shots from today's harvest. :)

Jalapeños

14667619348_166f901942_n.jpg

Jalapeños in Dehydrator

14667665059_32ca78c3be_n.jpg

Radish Pods

14667715027_b9935e5caa_n.jpg

Romas

14667646149_230dc2565a_n.jpg

:lol: Surface dwellers beware! While underground or otherwise indoor growing with lights gives a year-round supply, it takes a considerable amount of electricity to produce the same light as old Sol. I can tell you from my experience doing starts indoors this year that the pictured setups don't even come close.

• 4 weeks later...

So the season is winding down and good times and good meals were had by all. With what is left and what has been preserved, indications are that the trend will continue for some time. :)

Yesterday's harvest

14900439778_5cdf128e5f.jpg

Dill seed

14763426359_55c49bc2a2.jpg

Beets boiled fresh

14776836219_8283018211.jpg

Radish pods (delicious!)

14667715027_b9935e5caa.jpg

Edited by Acme

• 6 months later...

Well, the rhubarb started up and on the idea it knows what it's doing I put up the greenhouse & planted a couple tomato varieties and jalepenos. Outside I planted peas and radishes. No Brussels sprouts this year after 2 years of trying and a whole lotta Brussel and no sprouts.

How 'bout the rest of you?

16228562600_93d5a036b9.jpg

16564654905_3bd9a66219.jpg

If you want your rhubarb to grow in extremis; cover it and deny it daylight.

Extremis? I've read of covering celery to keep it light in color, but we haven't tried growing celery. What do you cover the rhubarb with and what is the advantage? Last year there was more than we could use, but any good tips are much appreciated. Have you started your garden this year? :)

No, but I do love rhubarb crumble. I am given to understand, in the sheds described, you can actually hear the rhubarb growing.

Rhubarb crumble!! I'm going to suggest that to the cook. She's been mixing it with other fruits and making jams.

I haven't heard ours growing, but it gives little screams when you pull the stalks. :0

edit grammar

Edited by Acme

A great English dessert akin to “spotted dick” just not a pudding.

How is it not a pudding? You put custard on it.

Rhubarb crumble!! I'm going to suggest that to the cook. She's been mixing it with other fruits and making jams.

I haven't heard ours growing, but it gives little screams when you pull you the stalks. :0

The trick is to balance the amount of sugar with the acidity in the rhubarb to your taste.

Edited by StringJunky

The trick is to balance the amount of sugar with the acidity in the rhubarb to your taste.

I think that's right. I like it when my food bites back a little, but I often hear folks complain that rhubarb is too tart.

All this talk has me in the mood to get away from this keyboard and go put some more seeds in. I think I'll put some spinach in the ground and some squash in the greenhouse pots. :)

Because it’s not a “small sausage”, but hey, anything you serve with custard can only be good.

Mmmm mmmmm! Any idea where I can get some custard seed?

I think that's right. I like it when my food bites back a little, but I often hear folks complain that rhubarb is too tart.

The more acidic, the better for me. The sweetness should be a minor counterpoint to the acidity. I love acid-tasting things.

Just look for mustard seed thats spelt with a c.

All I can find is with a k; will that work? :blink:

Got the spinach in and some beets and working on the squash. Below is panorama of main garden space that I share. Raspberries on left are starting to leaf out. I took the cold frame apart as the plastic was getting brittle & it gave us some more space. The shrubby plant left is Rosemary and the Rhubarb is just a little right of that. If Mother Nature spurns my early go...well, I'll just sweet talk her and give her that little ear nibble that she likes. :)

16409380909_def07354f2_c.jpg

On the subject of Brussels: see if you can glean anything useful from this article by the UKs Royal Horticultural Society.

Roger. Accessing....

Mmmmmm.... That's pretty much as we did them. The plants were large and healthy [looking] and we left them in past the first frosts, but no sprouts ever developed in the axils. We have OK luck with Broccoli and will give that a go again, but we'll just put something else in the space we were using for Brussels sprouts. (Interesting history of them at that link though. Thnx. :) )