About Masters in Physics.

afg

I am an undergraduate student about to complete my 1st year in the

field of Information science and engineering or information

technology. I am interested in pure physics especially high energy

physics and some parts of quantum Physics. My question is, Is there any

possibilities i can have my post-graduation study in the field of

Physics(purely theoretical physics like high energy physics) ?

In schools like Mit , caltech ....

I don't know about MIT or Caltec in particular, but it is possible to get a masters degree in physics if your first degree is not physics. As long as your degree has some mathematics and some basic physics, and it sounds like your degree will, then it should be possible for you. However, the best advice is to contact the schools in question ask them directly.

Yes. I am gonna study math for 2 years but physics only in 1 semester and in my course we have subjects of microelectronics and some other parts of computer science and electronics .Thankyou very much !

Edited by NPH

• 2 months later...

You might be interested in the master in scientific computing. You are probably more likely to get into a good college in master of scientific computing than a master in physics with your background.

Edited by lycerius

Given that you are still in your first year an obvious path seems to be to switch to physics. But note that being a physicist I read "interested in pure physics" as a small red flag. It indicates that you are interested in a vision of physics without knowing what it really is about - at least I do not know what "pure physics" would be. Your incorrect statement about high-energy physics being purely theoretical also goes into this direction: not sure if your grammar was unprecise or if your vision is wrong - high-energy physics is so experimentally-heavy that their experiments like LHC are well-known even to people outside of physics, whereas few people outside the field could name any biophysics experiment. But both cases may be indicators better not to go into physics, especially not theoretical physics. And naming MIT first is also a bit suspicious; I find it awkward that so many people mention the world's most famous engineering school as their destination of choice for a degree in natural sciences. One would hope that the content comes before the fame of the university.

I am aware these comments are a bit personal. No offense meant by that, and you are of course free to ignore them as the non-sense of some stranger on the Internet. But I would have felt bad not mentioning that the overall feel of your post is that your plan is not really though through at this point (which is not a bad thing, you should merely be aware of it).

EDIT: Might have not posted this if I had seen that the thread is over a month old. But it's written now so I leave it here.

Edited by timo