ISS HD Earth Viewing Experiment

sunshaker

Thanks for posting +1

Great view - just hypnotic

o/t It is rather distressing how the "social stream" is full of horrid political flaming

Just switched computer back on and saw this

"Hello from ************** England, You are not alone." Hello back to you Sunshaker - and good for you posting something nice on the stream

Just switched computer back on and saw this

"Hello from ************** England, You are not alone." Hello back to you Sunshaker - and good for you posting something nice on the stream

Thank you,

Its amazing you caught this comment. While watching I was reminded we are all in this together, And wanted to say hello.

These kind of "experiments" can only help and bring us all together, Which can only be a good thing..

cheers Acme for link+ helps to know where i am looking. there seems to be a different focus on each, nasa link more zoomed in?

...These kind of "experiments" can only help and bring us all together, Which can only be a good thing..

cheers Acme for link+ helps to know where i am looking. there seems to be a different focus on each, nasa link more zoomed in?

One has to wonder what science haters/deniers make of it. Work of the devil? >:D:doh:

So it does look like 2 different cameras and views; more zoomed in currently, yes, on the site with the position map. The yellow oval on the map appears to be the field of view. The yellow line is the last pass and the white line is the next pass to come.

Edit: Have you seen the horizon view yet? Can't wait to see some aurorae, sprites, meteors, or space junk. :)

Edited by Acme

• 1 month later...

This has been out for a few weeks, but I didn't see it mentioned here. I saw it on APOD a while back. I'd agree it is hypnotic and spectacular!

The first time I connected, the view appeared directed at the Sun and totally overexposed. I was about to leave, when, as the Sun began to dim, I realized it wasn't pointed at the Sun so much as at the Earth's limb. Sunset from orbit was quite beautiful, and strangely compelling. Those astronauts are darned lucky.

Here's the link to the APOD entry, which has a few more interesting links embedded:

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap140514.html

I just want to interject how much visual information we already have on our planet.

If you have not experienced Google Earth then you are truly missing out.

You can type in any address almost and find a picture of your current house or childhood home from above. Not only that, but if you zoom in close enough it will switch to a street view where you can read the license plates of the cars in your driveway.

This is done with Google vehicles which are constantly filming panoramic viewpoints along roadways and they have covered a surprisingly large amount of cities and areas.

Imagine you wanted to contact a childhood friend, but forgot their address and they lived far away. You could go on Google Earth and walk to their house and look at the street name on the signs and the house number on their mailbox (provided you knew how to walk to their house, and they still lived there).

I had to mention this here because it is surprising the amount of people who do not even realize this is possible. I also use it for work as I am required to investigate properties, and this is an excellent tool for locating problematic areas like previous train tracks, etc.

Did you live or vacation 1000 miles away. Zoom in to street level there and take a stroll down memory lane. Look at your old schools, etc.

Anyways.. Back to the space station, but I hope this makes someone download Google Earth and have some fun with it.

google-earth-street-view-camera-car-6110

Edited by barfbag

I just want to interject how much visual information we already have on our planet.

If you have not experienced Google Earth then you are truly missing out.

I use Google Maps all the time. Whenever I have to go some place new, I always drive there in street view first! I'll bet it's saved me thousands of hours wandering around lost or trying to figure out where to park. It really is amazing at how much geographic data is freely available. It must be a lot easier delivering pizza than it was when I was a kid :)

@ Boxy Brown,

I went on a road trip in my twenties where I delivered Pizza in Edmonton, Alberta., on my second day there. There was no need to learn streets because the entire city is a grid. Addresses were all like , "11325 124st.". Streets went one way, avenues another.

@ OP,

The first time I tried your link it was not broadcasting. Now the ISS camera I have fullscreen quite often. It makes a relaxing background in the room like fine art. who knows, maybe I'll discover Aliens.

It is beautiful on fullscreen. Thanks for posting this thread.

I use Google Maps all the time. Whenever I have to go some place new, I always drive there in street view first! I'll bet it's saved me thousands of hours wandering around lost or trying to figure out where to park. It really is amazing at how much geographic data is freely available. It must be a lot easier delivering pizza than it was when I was a kid :)

They just bought satellite & drone building company, so expect real-time maps in a couple years. You will see on map your own car on road you're going..

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-06-10/googles-bought-a-satellite-startup-to-make-maps-not-internet-connections

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.