Do cold feet make you sick?

Twinbird24

I've always been told to wear socks when walking around the house bare-foot because I'm going to get sick - even when I'm standing on carpeted area. I've always walked around the house bare-foot, and even outside sometimes and never had any problems with it, yet I'm still told it's not a good idea.

Is there any evidence to prove this idea that cold feet will cause you to get sick?

From my personal experience this has never been the case.

It's an old wives' tale.

Does cold weather make you sick?

You have probably heard it since you were a child: cold weather can make you sick. Although it may be a popular belief that illnesses, such as the common cold and seasonal flu, are caused by getting a chill, it is a misconception. According to the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease (NIAID), going out in cold weather does not make you sick. While certain illnesses occur more commonly in the colder months of the year, it is due to other factors. ...

source: >> http://www.symptomfind.com/health/does-cold-weather-make-you-sick/ Edited by Acme

• 1 month later...

Several studies have been made, when participants were exposed to low temperatures and moist conditions, and they got no more cold than others not exposed to low temperatures. I personally am still not convinced and I believe a slight hypothermia might lower your immunity and increase the chance of getting cold...when viruses are around. Not sure.

Walking barefoot in a cold water could in long-term increase the risk of gout or other type of arthritis in your toes.

. I personally am still not convinced and I believe a slight hypothermia might lower your immunity and increase the chance of getting cold...when viruses are around. Not sure.

If you expect to get ill then you may very well do so. Many illnesses have psychosomatic component.

I personally am still not convinced and I believe a slight hypothermia might lower your immunity and increase the chance of getting cold...when viruses are around. Not sure.

There may be other mechanisms at work. If being cold affects your sleep adversely, that could definitely lower your immune system's effectiveness.