Maxim ibutton thermochron battery dying sooner than projected

Hello, I was wondering if anyone using thermochron ibuttons could give me some advice about battery life problems. In our project, we used Maxim’s thermochron ibuttons for three field seasons of approximately 6 months each. We were sampling wood turtles nests, so they were buried with a sampling rate of once per hour. The temperatures they were exposed to ranged from -23 C to 37 C. To prevent water damage we used Plastidip with the spray and dip method.

According to the specs, we should have had at minimum of 2 more years of battery life, however, they have already died. Has anyone else experienced problems like ours? Or have any suggestions as to prevent this failure in the future?

The temp differences could be a reason. Most manufacturers provide minimum lifetimes under shelf conditions and in reality it a bit worse. But did I understand correctly that it only survived 18 months? I do not know that logger, but according to the specs it should be around for 6-8 years?

I would call the manufacturer to troubleshoot the issue, they know their product best and may actually have some ideas how to improve lifetime.