Why Do You Join Discussion Forums?

Pozessed

I join forums to understand other peoples opinions, define my own opinions and beliefs, to ask about information that may be misleading, as well as bring up issues that may be critically influential in todays society.

Why do you join discussion forums?

I join them to discuss things. This may seem simple but it's rare to truly discuss things with people other than my close friends in my daily life. My mother, an enthusiastic physics teacher told me from an early age that most people don't actually want to discuss, they just want to talk for the sake of talking. She told me that when she was at university one student was saying: why is the jam in doughnuts hot? She explained to them about heat conduction and they looked at her blankly. She then realized that the student didn't really want to know they just wanted something to say. I've had similar experiences of getting blank stares after explaining how a fridge works, or why the British drive on the left side of the road, or the fact that the first person to legally own a slave for the rest of their lives even though they didn't commit a crime in the USA was a black guy. These forums have people who have gone out of their way to have a discussion as opposed to people just talking for the sake of someone being in the same room as them.

To meet those from different milieu, foreign countries, other perspectives etc. No matter how cosmopolitan your own neighbourhood is you do not get to normally interact with such different people within their own environment; either you are in theirs or they are in yours or you are both away from home. I do not know any atomic physicists, nuclear submariners (2!), research geneticists, midwest farmers, ex-pat architects, etc. in the real world - but I have a vital insight into those other worlds through this forum

To give an example I am constantly astonished by the American attitude to gun-ownership; friendly, liberal, urbane sophisticates who have a loaded weapon in the house at all times. This is so far from my own experience that it is close to being incommensurable. Many is the time that I have been humbled and ashamed of the ease with which we in the rich west prosper in comparison to the effort and sacrifice required to succeed in the less wealthy areas of the world. Everyday brings a new realisation of the necessary contextuality of experience - it is perverse that in a forum dedicated to the empirical and objective that what I often gain is an understanding that every input, fact, piece of sensory data must be envisioned within and through the mind of others.

I join them to discuss things. This may seem simple but it's rare to truly discuss things with people other than my close friends in my daily life. My mother, an enthusiastic physics teacher told me from an early age that most people don't actually want to discuss, they just want to talk for the sake of talking. She told me that when she was at university one student was saying: why is the jam in doughnuts hot? She explained to them about heat conduction and they looked at her blankly. She then realized that the student didn't really want to know they just wanted something to say. I've had similar experiences of getting blank stares after explaining how a fridge works, or why the British drive on the left side of the road, or the fact that the first person to legally own a slave for the rest of their lives even though they didn't commit a crime in the USA was a black guy. These forums have people who have gone out of their way to have a discussion as opposed to people just talking for the sake of someone being in the same room as them.

So so true. I must look into these things you have listed though. I didn't know about the slave ownership thing nor have I been intrigued about why the British drive on the opposite side of the road. Thankfully google is my friend and I won't need to ask you to divulge the info ;).

I'm here for the cheez nips.

Nom nom nom, pass some tobbasco ones my way

To meet those from different milieu, foreign countries, other perspectives etc. No matter how cosmopolitan your own neighbourhood is you do not get to normally interact with such different people within their own environment; either you are in theirs or they are in yours or you are both away from home. I do not know any atomic physicists, nuclear submariners (2!), research geneticists, midwest farmers, ex-pat architects, etc. in the real world - but I have a vital insight into those other worlds through this forum

To give an example I am constantly astonished by the American attitude to gun-ownership; friendly, liberal, urbane sophisticates who have a loaded weapon in the house at all times. This is so far from my own experience that it is close to being incommensurable. Many is the time that I have been humbled and ashamed of the ease with which we in the rich west prosper in comparison to the effort and sacrifice required to succeed in the less wealthy areas of the world. Everyday brings a new realisation of the necessary contextuality of experience - it is perverse that in a forum dedicated to the empirical and objective that what I often gain is an understanding that every input, fact, piece of sensory data must be envisioned within and through the mind of others.

America was founded by fleeing a tyranical government, and people are still in fear that tyranny may return. With some logical reasoning I might add. I don't think that is too unreasonable.

I also enjoy the whole internet for the reasons you listed in your first paragraph. If it wasn't for the internet and forums such as this, I'd be one ignorant cookie.

it is good practice and a great way to learn things.

it fosters an argumentation style important in any field of science. by arguing your point, you learn to support your statements with evidence. you also exercise your reasoning skills.

if there is one thing i have learned, it would be that math is much more substantial than speculation. since i have been on this site, i have gotten back into learning the math behind physics. i have a bit to go, but it will be worth it in the end. there are a number of individuals on this site you will not find on others and that is worth the time any way you look at it.

i will not quit until i can pull off skyping while holding my evil cat in my evil chair. :blink:

it is good practice and a great way to learn things.

it fosters an argumentation style important in any field of science. by arguing your point, you learn to support your statements with evidence. you also exercise your reasoning skills.

if there is one thing i have learned, it would be that math is much more substantial than speculation. since i have been on this site, i have gotten back into learning the math behind physics. i have a bit to go, but it will be worth it in the end. there are a number of individuals on this site you will not find on others and that is worth the time any way you look at it.

i will not quit until i can pull off skyping while holding my evil cat in my evil chair. :blink:

Check out this colleges free math excercises. https://www.khanacademy.org/math

I'm sure they will have something of interest.

Hope you didn't click it before I edited.

It is free, but you have to sign up with an email address.

Edited by Pozessed

In addition to the great points above about learning and interacting with people and experiencing/exposing myself to viewpoints different from my own, I have found that sites like these also provide me with a relatively safe place to improve the style and the way I express my thoughts and to become a more articulate human being overall.

More than once, I've been in meetings at work or giving a presentation to a large audience and thought, "I'm much more comfortable and capable of sharing this idea because I've had so much practice writing thoughts like these online. A few years ago, I really would have struggled to communicate that so clearly."

I think our extremely sophisticated communication and cooperation are two of the basic traits that allow humans to thrive as they do. Discussion with others in so many varied fields and circumstances and education and cultures gives me perspectives I can't get at work or home.

Every perspective teaches you something, even when shown to be wrong (maybe especially when it's shown to be wrong). Discussion allows us to gather data beyond what can be gathered in other ways, so we can make better informed decisions.

It is the real world. It is not a game.

In addition to the great points above about learning and interacting with people and experiencing/exposing myself to viewpoints different from my own, I have found that sites like these also provide me with a relatively safe place to improve the style and the way I express my thoughts and to become a more articulate human being overall.

More than once, I've been in meetings at work or giving a presentation to a large audience and thought, "I'm much more comfortable and capable of sharing this idea because I've had so much practice writing thoughts like these online. A few years ago, I really would have struggled to communicate that so clearly."

Yes! I would not be writing a book now if I had not spent my teenage years trying to imitate Sayonara's incredibly clear debate style.