Astronomy Training Game is Surprise Smash Hit

Schneibster

Since this is a game I will break a personal rule and post a link from HuffPost, who has the most amusing article. The game is linked inside the HuffPost article.

Be warned, the author says his site has been overwhelmed, so there may be performance problems.

The game is called "Super Planet Crash" and it's actually a training application for real exoplanet detection systems. Other astronomers have made humorous accusations that he is sabotaging everyone else's research in order to steal all the prizes. Reportedly, when he first released it at his university for beta testing all work stopped at the site for the afternoon.

I think it goes without saying it's addictive.

I put it in news because it's not just a game, there's serious astronomy behind it and it may be a route to an educational end-around of the medieval superstitions parents continue to insist upon teaching their kids.

Have fun: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/10/super-planet-crash-game_n_5120708.html

And full credit and honesty: The Schneibsteress found this one. Her search-fu is imposing.

Edited by Schneibster

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.