The effects of water saturation and chill on seed germination.

hhasty15

In my plant science class I have designed an experiment to test the success of Partridge Pea germination depending on the amount of water it receives and whether or not it is put through a short chill. The seeds were split into two groups, each group having two treatments and a control. All seeds were received from a seed-bank-like facility at my school. The first group was put through a chill; I placed the seeds in a refrigerator for a week. The second group was not put through a chilling process. The controls for the group were sanitized and then put in separate papers that retain water well and then put into dark chamber containers. The first treatment for each group was sanitized then soaked for 24 hours in water, they were then also placed in paper and containers like with the control group. The second treatment was sanitized as well and then soaked for 72 hours in water and placed in paper and containers.

My class focuses on thinking up ways to improve a prairie ecosystem. I am doing this experiment in hopes of discovering more ideal ways of ensuring germination of native prairie plants. I am thinking that seeds that seeds that go through a chill or a winter will have better success than those that come from a seed bank where the seeds have never really experienced the cold; I also think that seeds will do better given more water.

Let me know what you think of my experiment, any critiques or advice would help!

I would think a seed bank would be aware of the necessary conditions for improving germination, including cooling. You might ask the specific bank about their treatment of your seeds.

Beyond that, here is a document on Partridge pea from USDA that may be of help. I have quoted just a couple parts related to your inquiry. Good luck & by all means report back on your experiment. :)

USDA Plant Guide for PARTRIDGE PEA - Chamaecrista fasciculate >> http://plants.usda.gov/plantguide/pdf/pg_chfa2.pdf

Management

Established stands should be disked lightly in the spring to expose mineral soil on which the seed can germinate. Partridge pea usually reseeds but will gradually disappear without regular maintenance. Light disking to remove weeds, small brush, and old sod is necessary for healthy stands. In areas where prescribed burning is permitted, controlled fire is an excellent method for controlling unwanted vegetation. Fire or disking should be done in late winter for best results. Weeds can also be controlled during the growing season by mowing over the top of partridge pea plants.

Seeds and Plant Production

Showy partridge pea seed can be cold moist stratified for 56 days to improve germination. Under controlled conditions germination occurs at an alternating cycle of 30oC daytime and 15oC nighttime temperatures. The optimum soil temperature for germination is 20oC to 30oC. Seventy percent of seeds will germinate in 7 to 25 days. The seed count of partridge pea is approximately 62,000 seeds per pound from cultivated plants. ...