Live projection interactive interface platform

Popcorn Sutton

I'm imagining that we could use a light fabric that is tightly intertwined but as durable as steam with gentle sound waves to recover the fabric.

The walls would need to be covered in a a bunch of lights/lasers that flash light that only interacts with the fabric after a certain length (3ms). The fabric has to be user friendly and abundant.

The floor would have to be full of intelligent treadmill balls.

Edited by Popcorn Sutton

The only thing that comes to mind was the recent google interactive art installation with a fabric and projector and a website that allowed people (anyone with a smart phone) to interact with the whole thing. That is just what came to mind, i have no idea what you are explaining/referring to/asking.

The problem with an interactive illusion is multi-fold. in order to project into air or "air" you need a medium, that may be steam/fog, that may be threads, whatever it is, i needs to be reflective for the light to have a point onto which it can be projected. To make something interactive, truly interactive, you need to track people and their positions, the problem is that the only real set of ways of doing this well, requires a camera. But with a reflective medium, even lightly dispersed in the air, it makes tracking things with optics more difficult because now everything that is around the medium has an inherent blur. So usually when you have a solution for both parts of the problem that satisfies the requirement, you go about figuring out how you can put together the two decoupled solutions in a way that seems as though it is one.

For example, say what you wanted to do was to project onto strings which are put together in an offset pattern, with a set of laser projectors, but you wanted the visuals to be driven by, say, a danceer. You may decouple the two, and have just that, a dancer on one side, projector and table or room of strings on the other. Maybe you wanted to project onto fog, but wanted to also have the dancer inside of it all. It may be a lot easier to create an are in the middle of the projectable surface void of fog while to everyone around it would still seem as though the dancer is dancing in a fog. (yes this requires some laminar flows, and total control of the system, but it is doable.

So again, i still have no idea what you want to do, but perhaps while you are thinking about it, thinking of solving it with fermi approach, may be easier.

$.02

Problem is that you want to use IR like it is used in the Kinect or by the Leap controller. That is, you want to project a pattern that can then be used to determine distances to things. And without testing, i cant tell you that fog wont interfere. Another problem is that a lot of projectors emit IR, so you have to be careful there.

My assumption was that our bodies are going to be much brighter than their surroundings, especially if we are exercising while we are in the room. The trickiest part would be the physics in my opinion. The lasers/projections need to only interact with the fog after a certain distance. Here's a list of the most difficult parts of the mechanical illusion from hardest to least.

1. Treadmill Balls

2. Light

3. Wave frequencies

4. Fabric/Steam maintenance

5. Programming the treadmill balls to respond accurately

6. Programming the graphics

7. Sensing not only motion, but acceleration, deceleration, friction of projected surface, position of bodies, etc.

There's probably more but idk at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...