Botany question/topic

pippo

People,

Need to understand better how a fruit tree flowers, then generates the fruit. In other words, Can phosphate encoursge flowering, but not necessarily allow for the development of the actual fruit from the flower?? Why does a tree "flower", but then does not develop fruit, and another year, it will develop fruit? can a tree develop flowers with low phosphate availability?

Thanks

Sounds like you have some specific example(s) in mind, so it would be helpful in answering your questions for you to share that information.

In general however, 'fruit' trees may flower and produce no fruit due to a simple lack of pollination.

Edited by Acme

A lot of plants abort flowers due to environmental conditions. For example, soybeans will abort up to 80% of their flowers depending on factors like water, temperature, etc.

Its a way to ensure that the available resources are used to their full effect rather than being spread too thinly amongst too many fruits.

Phosphorous is not known to induce flowering in anyway. Typical flowering cues are day length or amount of light and temperature. However, a deficiency will induce flower abortion in some fruits, like melons. I am not certain about fruit trees, but it is very possible. Phosphorous is most often a problem in areas of high rainfall, which leads to leaching and acidification of the soil.

There are many possible explanations for flower abortion and in general not every fertilized flower will produce fruit.

Edited by chadn737

good info, people. its on olive trees.

I'm no familiar with growing olives, but I searched out some info for you that may be helpful. :)

Answers to some common questions about olive trees:

Q- I have had an olive tree for 5 years but I never got any olives. Why is that?

A- There are many different reasons why you may not be getting olives from your 5 year old tree.

(1) Your tree may have been grown from a pit, olive trees that are grown from pits can take 8-10 years to begin to produce fruit. Our trees are grown from the cuttings of mature fruit bearing trees and will produce fruit in one or two years.

(2) Your tree may need a pollinator. Many varieties of olive trees are self pollinating but there are several varieties that are not and will not produce fruit without a pollinizer.

Manzanillo, Mission and Ascolano to name a few, all require pollinators. Our trees are self pollinating but will bear 15% higher if cross pollinated.

Manzanillo are sensitive to cold and require the Sevillano or Ascolano for pollination.

Mission are cold hardy and also require Sevillano or Ascolano for pollination.

Ascolano require the Mission or Manzanillo for pollination.

We sell the Arbequina (Spanish), Arbosana (Spanish) and Koroneiki (Greek) olive tree varieties, these varieties do not require pollinators and are both cold and drought tolerant.

(3) Too much Nitrogen will cause leaf growth but inhibit flowering also too much rain may cause the flowers to drop.

(4) There are ornamental varieties of olive trees that are used for landscaping that do not produce fruit. ...

source: >> http://www.floridaconcerts.org/answers_to_some_common_questions%20about%20olive%20trees.htm

• 2 weeks later...

thnaks, acme. I learned something from that. Update: I figured that if I place a branch of flowering polinator variety in the trees I have that flowered I should get cross pollination!! I will let yous know what happens in say, a month or so when the baby olives develop!!

Also, I have to question the above chadn who said phosphate does not induce flowering. Its the first time I heard this- I always understood that without PO4, no fruit. How can we clarify this , people?

Edited by pippo

thnaks, acme. I learned something from that. Update: I figured that if I place a branch of flowering polinator variety in the trees I have that flowered I should get cross pollination!! I will let yous know what happens in say, a month or so when the baby olives develop!!

Also, I have to question the above chadn who said phosphate does not induce flowering. Its the first time I heard this- I always understood that without PO4, no fruit. How can we clarify this , people?

You're welcome. :) Standing by for future report and best of luck. As to the phosphate I'll also stand by,but for a future retort.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I GOT OLIVES ON MY 2 TREES!!!!!! The cut branches of pollinating variety cross pollinated my olives !! Wow- I cant believe it. Right now, I have bunches of olives , about 2mm across. It worked. But, that does not mean they will hold, but lets keep our fingers crossed. I will let yous know in a month or so if they are progressing well. By that time, they should be strong enough to hold, Im thinking.

It doesn't induce flowering.

Phosphate is an essential nutrient, regardless of what stage of development, but that does not mean it "induces" the production of fruit or flowering. Rather, lack of phosphate will have global effects on metabolism and development. Plants lacking phosphate may abort flowers or not produce fruit simply because it does not have sufficient nutrients to produce the fruit. But phosphate is not in itself a "signal" that will induce flowering or fruiting.

• 1 month later...

It doesn't induce flowering.

Phosphate is an essential nutrient, regardless of what stage of development, but that does not mean it "induces" the production of fruit or flowering. Rather, lack of phosphate will have global effects on metabolism and development. Plants lacking phosphate may abort flowers or not produce fruit simply because it does not have sufficient nutrients to produce the fruit. But phosphate is not in itself a "signal" that will induce flowering or fruiting.

OK, Chad, (sorry for late reply), I get it now. So, PO4 does not induce floweering, but it does have a big part in development of the flowers into fruit? If so, thats a good clarification. I never understood that.

• 5 weeks later...

OK, Chad, (sorry for late reply), I get it now. So, PO4 does not induce floweering, but it does have a big part in development of the flowers into fruit? If so, thats a good clarification. I never understood that.

Correct