ART in SCIENCE

Mike Smith Cosmos

• 1 month later...

Notice this naturally occurring composition .

The maths and science of the Renaissance artists integrated into art .

Particularly the golden sections :-

I mean look at this particular aspect of the countryside here in Devon, Cullompton ( North of Exeter ) This scene can inspire. This I found to be true on two occasions, when I asked passers by " are you an artist? " on both occasions they said by Sirendipody " yes , why do you ask ? " quite incredulously they viewed the scene and said " how extraordinary " . One of the persons ( artist ) said she would rush off and paint it! . .

Even a Heron has landed on the ' golden section ' 3 /8 down 5/8 up also, 5/8 across , 3/8 in ( art speak )

post-33514-0-98642100-1419060614_thumb.jpg

Link to golden Section :- http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio

Mike

Edited by Mike Smith Cosmos

Claude Monet, the greatest exponent of the Impressionist style, created several series of paintings exploring the effects of light. Mike

Last month I went to an excellent exhibition of Monet's paintings at the Museum of Fine Arts in Houston. The exhibition, Monet and the Seine: Impressions of a River, displayed over fifty of his works assembled from Museums in the USA and Europe, and from private collections.

These include the Mornings on the Seine series, in which he captured the changing light through different stages of morning. He painted these on location, punting to his vantage point before dawn and moving from canvas to canvas through the day as the light changed.

Anyone living in Texas and with an interest in art should grab this opportunity. The exhibition is on until February 1st.

I like the tree-trunk at top-left, it's very thought-provoking!

As for Monet, he did OK with his 19th Century slowly-painted low-res oil pictures. They give a feeling of nostalgia. Like good old oil-lamps, when compared to our modern electric lighting.

But I prefer scientifically accurate colour photos, to see things as they really are.

Perhaps if Monet had had a modern digital camera, he could have captured the changing light conditions even better?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

SCIENCE - ART LINK

During the course of becoming more involved in recent years in the arena of ART .

Recent investigations have produced by observation , an apparently close link , between ART COMPOSITION , OBJECTS, and TECHNIQUES and the .SCIENCE behind human and possibly animal recognition and response.

What might have been construed as a lot of 'Prancing around ' , gesturing , and slapping paint around at random , by the Artist , may have given the idea abroad , that Art , was far removed from Science.

I have been trying to get my head around ' Why ' line angle , has such a dramatic effect in boat/ship pictures .

Namely :- Note the following two examples ; note the upright mast 90degrees to horizontal . The water level horizontal . Peace , well being , pleasant !

post-33514-0-05264800-1424349587_thumb.jpg.post-33514-0-79402000-1424349900_thumb.jpg

The second example , note the masts are at an angle to the Horizontal and angle to the '' upright " . We have spent all our life , trying to keep upright . The ground and calm seas is horizontal , we have spent most of our life from falling to the horizontal or happy when we are horizontal in bed. If we are not at either of these angles we are unhappy , disturbed, frightened or even excited , but not calm . Note sea surface is NOT at a comfortable angle .

Although these may appear as simple examples, they are profound , in that put those ' two ' angles ( horizontal and vertical ) into an Art picture by composition , can radically change the mood ( feeling ) .

See following two examples :

-post-33514-0-03823900-1424351872_thumb.jpg

post-33514-0-92123600-1424351901_thumb.jpg

The first picture , I intended to show the tranquil yet busy atmosphere, here at the junction between the Mediterranean Sea , and the inland Caspian Sea . All boats , small row boats to great cruise liners , have lines horizontal or vertical .

The second picture I intended to be exciting , slightly dangerous , as the sailors, lean at an angle the boat leans at an angle , the sea is not all horizontal , Huge wake has the sea at an exciting angle .

Note that all these ,sensed states , are by human experience, consciousness , feeling ( observation ) . However the experiences are common to all individuals ( thus a Science ! Predictable by design of the composition , planned more composition , provable, even experiments can be set up to test the feelings.

It may be that animals , have more instinctive observations and feelings , nonetheless predictable , testable . ( including .. Fight and flight ) scientific !

Mike

SCIENCE - ART LINK

During the course of becoming more involved in recent years in the arena of ART .

Recent investigations have produced by observation , an apparently close link , between ART COMPOSITION , OBJECTS, and TECHNIQUES and the .SCIENCE behind human and possibly animal recognition and response.

What might have been construed as a lot of 'Prancing around ' , gesturing , and slapping paint around at random , by the Artist , may have given the idea abroad , that Art , was far removed from Science.

I have been trying to get my head around ' Why ' line angle , has such a dramatic effect in boat/ship pictures .

Namely :- Note the following two examples ; note the upright mast 90degrees to horizontal . The water level horizontal . Peace , well being , pleasant !

The second example , note the masts are at an angle to the Horizontal and angle to the '' upright " . We have spent all our life , trying to keep upright . The ground and calm seas is horizontal , we have spent most of our life from falling to the horizontal or happy when we are horizontal in bed. If we are not at either of these angles we are unhappy , disturbed, frightened or even excited , but not calm . Note sea surface is NOT at a comfortable angle .

Although these may appear as simple examples, they are profound , in that put those ' two ' angles ( horizontal and vertical ) into an Art picture by composition , can radically change the mood ( feeling ) .

The first picture , I intended to show the tranquil yet busy atmosphere, here at the junction between the Mediterranean Sea , and the inland Caspian Sea . All boats , small row boats to great cruise liners , have lines horizontal or vertical .

The second picture I intended to be exciting , slightly dangerous , as the sailors, lean at an angle the boat leans at an angle , the sea is not all horizontal , Huge wake has the sea at an exciting angle .

Note that all these ,sensed states , are by human experience, consciousness , feeling ( observation ) . However the experiences are common to all individuals ( thus a Science ! Predictable by design of the composition , planned more composition , provable, even experiments can be set up to test the feelings.

It may be that animals , have more instinctive observations and feelings , nonetheless predictable , testable . ( including .. Fight and flight ) scientific !

Mike

First picture looks much more like Hagia Sofia (I work in a greek company and am contractually obliged to use that name) viewed from the Bosphorous. Thus the above would be the junction of the Med (or more accurately the Sea of Marmara) and the Black Sea. The Med does not easily link to the Caspian (apart from via a huge oil pipeline).

First picture looks much more like Hagia Sofia (I work in a greek company and am contractually obliged to use that name) viewed from the Bosphorous. Thus the above would be the junction of the Med (or more accurately the Sea of Marmara) and the Black Sea. The Med does not easily link to the Caspian (apart from via a huge oil pipeline).

Oops sorry , it is the Black Sea , where all the ships are going through the bridge, and through the Bosphorus.

Also the great building , highlighting Istanbul , was an attempt at Hagia Sofia

Link : - http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hagia_Sophia

I just love the illustration of the buzz of civilisation , there .

Mike

Clearly this picture is one of some sort of royal visitation to the fleet.

The whole picture is one of , Stature, peace, happyness

Note how the sea is flattish ( horizontal ) , the masts are upright, the personell are all upright . (Verticle ).

post-33514-0-26804900-1424530830_thumb.jpg

This is a peaceful ,happy, occasion!

Mike

However, the first time I saw this particular picture , I must admit I received a ' mixed message ' .

There exists a similar picture to this , where a painting shows a fleet of ships in total chaos , with men falling out into the water , cannon fire , wreckage and all manner of detrituse in the sea , smoke and all sorts of mehem . The above previous picture , has some smoke or mist which did alert me to that past memory.

Herein lies the nubb ! .

I think we build up mental paradigms, say smoke at sea , with medieval battles, so possibly my brain was interpreting ,quite subconsciously the smoke. Then later with the men upright in the boats as ' peace ' ?

Here is one of the paintings that built up the previous ' battle ' paradigm .

post-33514-0-48151700-1424594147_thumb.jpg

Note the white smoke , but now the disaster in the sea !

Compared to this peaceful sea picture, similar smoky background , but just that more definite upright ' masts' throughout . Perhaps one can see how one can get mixed messages.

post-33514-0-37248100-1424594395_thumb.jpg

Perhaps the dark ,and reddish background are more akin to battle ,images.

----------------------- -------- -------------------

Have just moved home . Listening to Mozart Requium . Found a mini -disc in the attic with this beautiful piece of music on.

Mini disc is past technology ,I think now . However ,here I have recovered from the near past , a beautiful piece of music now playing . Yet this technology ( mini disc ) came and went . Fortunately , I also rescued from my attic a mini disc player . Now plugged into my Amplifier, and the music is coming forth .

Thus we have - past ---- - present -------- future ...... In Time .

To visually illustrate this Past - Present - Future . easily see the following illustration :-

post-33514-0-11176200-1424599010_thumb.jpg

Past :- is illustrated at the bottom of the picture , set , yet no longer in the present . as moved on , mini disc no longer in vogue . No longer today's technology , just .

Present :- the distinct line across picture 1/3 way up. Yet all colourful twirls . As today the present . I am currently listening to my mini disc playing . Mozart . Beautiful , colourful . now is happening , in front of me . With my ears and eyes. Colourful , creative. . Yet

Future :- the top , blue sky in the picture , has not yet happened, vague ,yet in anticipation , interesting . Yet to come .

Mike

Here is the start of a Composition . A naturally presented composition .

post-33514-0-15645300-1424687651_thumb.jpg

This is a source image , that I thought had a certain dynamic and interest ,worth capturing !

It naturally has a composition , though NOT complete. However it illustrates points of a partial composition.

Coming in from the bottom of the picture, which is a natural place to start, when viewing a sight. ( after all ,most of us glance to the ground with regularity , to prevent us tripping over stones, toys , computer cables or whatever. ) .

Although non descript, our eye is drawn to the breaking white wave across the bottom of the picture. Quickly we are drawn up into the boat that , these African fishermen are taking over the waves to sea, with others of their fellow countrymen.

Our eye is caught immediately to the poor chap in the back of the boat struggling with the outboard motor.

We are led on to the next individual ' bailing like stink ' to prevent the boat sinking due to the ingress of waves. In front of him ,higher up the boat are two individuals ( one supporting the other ) where the pilot is drastically attempting to keep the craft facing across the wave .

Phew ! Let's hope they make it . So far the story of this picture is exciting. Our eye wanders on to see the other boats already beyond the waves . Seen across the horizon to our left..... Here the composition peters out .... We can return to experience the launch another time ,or leave the picture to the top left hand side or continue our composition to complete a story ....

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Balance in a picture .

We understand intuitively when a picture or scene is Balanced. Is this something we have learned happens in nature , that we take for granted , yet use everyday in our existence and activity in the world around us.

Raphael did the formal balance by putting the main focus of attention in the centre of the picture.

Later developments moved to balancing a heavier focus to one side , BALANCED by a smaller item on the other side .

post-33514-0-39918100-1425802020.jpg

Notice the more acceptable feeling to having this balance big to left , smaller to right .

Old fashioned scales ,sometimes seen in old chemists shops . Have a long lever , with heavy weights on one side , a long lever , with a small item out at a distance from the fulcrum .

Scientifically this works , aesthetically this works in the picture .

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Another compositional tool to introduce into a painting is FLOW and Journey THROUGH the picture .

It could be said to be often traditional to come in through the bottom of the picture and flow from place to place through the picture .

Always remembering to easily bring people to the FOCUS of the picture , even if you continue to flow through the picture and return to the Focus another time.

Note the flow in this following composition using the Dog .

post-33514-0-57898900-1426552915_thumb.jpg

Note the long grasses can be noticed coming in from bottom left . Rising diagonally. You can not fail but be brought to the Focus of the picture , the ' Jack Russell' . However the dog is looking ' contemplating ' , you could ask what , and look at the clouds working there way up the sky in bands. Or you could romance about what distraction , is being caught by the dogs sense of smell ?

Mike. These compositional tools are where" science is brought to work in art .

If we were to bring some of these compositional tools to bear in a " science idea , Picture or illustration " maybe it is possible to use these in an " explanation of a Science Idea or principle ?

• 2 weeks later...

Another compositional tool ............... These compositional tools are where" science is brought to work in art .

If we were to bring some of these compositional tools to bear in a " science idea , Picture or illustration " maybe it is possible to use these in an " explanation of a Science Idea or principle ?

Let's try this in the communication of a difficult science idea ....one that scientists agree on , but lay people find difficult to get there head around ? ....

.I am thinking .! Something that some people find hard to understand ? Humm?

ENTROPY

I have just tried this out on a complete stranger , this afternoon , on the train home .

Sketch of the art , painting yet to come . But the composition is already in place , in principle

post-33514-0-06299700-1427748977_thumb.jpg

Entropy 0 bottom left , raising to blank Big Bang , inflation , the picture focus on the golden section, with its centre of gravity , balance with the earth much later in the increase of entropy ,on in whirls to greater disorder and entropy . Just an outline . Picture to follow .

Mike

However, the first time I saw this particular picture , I must admit I received a ' mixed message ' .

There exists a similar picture to this , where a painting shows a fleet of ships in total chaos , with men falling out into the water , cannon fire , wreckage and all manner of detrituse in the sea , smoke and all sorts of mehem . The above previous picture , has some smoke or mist which did alert me to that past memory.

Herein lies the nubb ! .

I think we build up mental paradigms, say smoke at sea , with medieval battles, so possibly my brain was interpreting ,quite subconsciously the smoke. Then later with the men upright in the boats as ' peace ' ?

Here is one of the paintings that built up the previous ' battle ' paradigm .

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Note the white smoke , but now the disaster in the sea !

Compared to this peaceful sea picture, similar smoky background , but just that more definite upright ' masts' throughout . Perhaps one can see how one can get mixed messages.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Perhaps the dark ,and reddish background are more akin to battle ,images.

----------------------- -------- -------------------

Have just moved home . Listening to Mozart Requium . Found a mini -disc in the attic with this beautiful piece of music on.

Mini disc is past technology ,I think now . However ,here I have recovered from the near past , a beautiful piece of music now playing . Yet this technology ( mini disc ) came and went . Fortunately , I also rescued from my attic a mini disc player . Now plugged into my Amplifier, and the music is coming forth .

Thus we have - past ---- - present -------- future ...... In Time .

To visually illustrate this Past - Present - Future . easily see the following illustration :-

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Past :- is illustrated at the bottom of the picture , set , yet no longer in the present . as moved on , mini disc no longer in vogue . No longer today's technology , just .

Present :- the distinct line across picture 1/3 way up. Yet all colourful twirls . As today the present . I am currently listening to my mini disc playing . Mozart . Beautiful , colourful . now is happening , in front of me . With my ears and eyes. Colourful , creative. . Yet

Future :- the top , blue sky in the picture , has not yet happened, vague ,yet in anticipation , interesting . Yet to come .

Mike

This painting is awesome! Just had to revert to adolescence I was so excited!

• 2 months later...

Here is a moving Artistic Sculpture, clearly produced by a scientific Engineer , yet with an interesting Artistic Expression

post-33514-0-16343500-1433403564_thumb.jpg

The Sculpture rotates , slowly . At the same time the diagonal bars move from horizontal, to a small angle ( clearly the nature of aircraft wings, moving from stationary to take off , and climb , then return to level flight . Many intermingling such devices well illustrates the many take offs from the Airport .

A simple analysis can bring out from the mechanism , the various Artistic features :- EG.

*. .catching the spirit , or mood of activity at the airport, Many , many travellers going in different directions.

*.. The movement, of multiple items illustrated , without collision , portraying the complex activity of the Aircraft as well as the footfall of the Passengers, while moving about the terminal.

Notice the various angles of the vapour trails of aircraft taking off around Heathrow Airport , taken from bus on return journey . Some vapour trails have nearly spread out completely .

post-33514-0-14944600-1433405501_thumb.jpg

Mike

Here is a moving Artistic Sculpture, clearly produced by a scientific Engineer , yet with an interesting Artistic Expression

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The Sculpture rotates , slowly . At the same time the diagonal bars move from horizontal, to a small angle ( clearly the nature of aircraft wings, moving from stationary to take off , and climb , then return to level flight . Many intermingling such devices well illustrates the many take offs from the Airport .

A simple analysis can bring out from the mechanism , the various Artistic features :- EG.

*. .catching the spirit , or mood of activity at the airport, Many , many travellers going in different directions.

*.. The movement, of multiple items illustrated , without collision , portraying the complex activity of the Aircraft as well as the footfall of the Passengers, while moving about the terminal.

Notice the various angles of the vapour trails of aircraft taking off around Heathrow Airport , taken from bus on return journey . Some vapour trails have nearly spread out completely .

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Mike

What I neglected to say was , that the rotating sculpture, or work of art, was at Stansted Airport , North of London . You drive , either side of it , if you arrive by shipping National Bus to Stansted. It is an eye catching sight , towering quite high, yet easily visible. Accompanied by the constant roar , as yet another flight takes off for somewhere in Europe.

It rotates as a whole about once every few seconds. Alternating direction. Then a secondary smaller version of the right angled shape , rotates separately, also at once every few seconds, in alternating directions( clockwise - counter clockwise )

Mike

Interesting comparison :

Totally on a separate occasion , while traveling out of the U.k. Through Heathrow Bus terminal .

Here people from all over the world are coming and going , via the different Heathrow airport terminals , as well as Stansted Airport Terminal where the sculpture above is situated

One sits in the Bus terminal waiting for a call for whichever bus will take you to the correct terminal or town.

People of all nationalities are standing still , moving left , right , busses arrive one after another , planes take off every few minutes.

I tried to capture the feeling of this , with a white on black , sketch .

Remarkably how similar in principle to the rotating Sculpture . ( two posts previous ) post # 167

See following :-post-33514-0-50075900-1433712654_thumb.jpg

In the foreground passengers , standing , moving off in different directions .

In the middle layer up , of the picture, busses arriving , stacked up , door open passengers getting on / off.

In the top portion, aircraft taking off , in the high angle initial climb .

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

COMPOSITION

Having discussed composition. This week ( Tuesday ) I went out with a painting group to Up Ex . This is a rather beautiful bend in the river Ex , which flows through Exeter into the English Channel at Torbay , the beginning of the Jurassic Coast. This has both Geological and Art in Science connections.

Up Ex , as it's name implies is " a little way up the Ex river from Exeter. "

This first photo , is looking up the river from the bend to the location I painted from ( in the field in the distant right ) looking back to the bend.

I spent quite a while wandering around looking for a naturally occurring ' Composition ' . This payed off , as one of the other painters , when he saw my finished painting said " good composition " . Strictly speaking , the composition is not mine , the position to give the composition WAS mine , as I chose it.post-33514-0-12228800-1435213927_thumb.jpg.

Here is the painting , looking back from the field . The natural composition , was by careful adjustment of my position . There it was :-

post-33514-0-96289500-1435214057_thumb.jpg

Note :- although the painting needs a little finishing off ( maybe ) the composition , can be clearly itemised.

1) the entry into the picture from the bottom , from a few aspects , the left grass track , where I sat leads the eye toward the ' bend in the river' one of the focal points. At , as near as I could make it ( to one of the golden section points ) . The river itself , from the bottom , also leads to the same focal point. ( at the golden section ) . The right hand field leads gently into the picture.

2) the sigmoid curve , S , sweeps along the river, up through the woods to the cottage .

( a balancing golden section focus) , and up through the trees and clouds to the Left Hand Top side of the picture. If you squint your eyes you can trace the reverse 'S' ( start bottom right , up to bend , across to cottage , up through RHS trees , then gently diagonal ,with the clouds running and raising from right to top left hand corner. ) . So bottom right to top left with a revers 'S' , sigmoid curve .

3) the balance of the cottage to the bend , does give a slight conflict of having effectively two focal points, which is not normally a good idea . However in this instance ( as the cottage could , ( only could ) be viewed as the main focal point , with the bend giving the secondary , minor , balancing .

In this case it makes for a good adventure in the river, bend, woods, cottage ,sky , journey . A picture adventure !

Mike

Hi pzpjfk

I dread to think what ' Neural Networks ' would make of my pictures. They would probably give me a new insight , into what makes me ' tick ' ?

Mike

Hi pzpjfk

I dread to think what ' Neural Networks ' would make of my pictures. They would probably give me a new insight , into what makes me ' tick ' ?

Mike

Isn't that at least part of what art is for?