Sea anemone is genetically half animal, half plant

Moontanman

This subject is personally quite interesting to me, I keep or have kept many marine aquariums over the years and Sea Anemones are one of my passions. I had one for several years that was a meter across. I was one of the first people to explore the importance of photosynthesis in regards to Sea Anemones in the marine aquarium hobby, I used a 1000 watt metal halide light to grow that anemone to a meter across.

The fact that they are half plant is surprising but their ancient roots are not. They can be extremely beautiful creatures and their interactions with symbiotic fishes, shrimps, and crabs is extremely interesting...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/03/140318113816.htm

Sorry to say, but the article is badly misrepresenting the results. Far from inferring taxonomic distinctions, the paper is showing that they do possess regulatory mechanisms (specifically their post-transcriptional regulation of mRNA) that are similar to those of plants. However this does not change in any way that they are cnidaria and firmly belong to the kingdom of animalia. They are nowhere near half plant. In fact the article does point these things out but for some weird reasons draw completely false conclusions and put that into the title.

They are interesting, no doubt. I just wished that science journalist would try to stick to facts instead of resorting to hyperbole, if they are not familiar with the subject.

WHAT!?! A science journalist who accurately reports the facts? Do such people exist?

I hated this story so very much.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.